Build: Validating Email Addresses

I’m building an email address validator that checks to see if an email address is still active (see here) testRow email checker.xaml (13.0 KB)

The file uses a free online validator and Types In email addresses from a csv list. I got as far as Getting Full Text results from the validator, but I don’t know how to store the results back onto the csv in the next column, and then saving the csv.

Thanks

Hi @aaronadams3,

Attached the updated xaml for your requirement.

testRow email checker.xaml (15.3 KB)

Please get back to us if it works.

Regards,
Rahul

1 Like

Hi Rahul,

Sorry it took me so long to get back to this project. I got everything working except every row is reading “Invalid”. I noticed you have an IF condition for categorizing the results. There are actually three different possible results. I’m perfectly happy just to get the full text written into the spreadsheet. The full text is showing up in the output window of UIPath, so I know that’s working. I tried removing the IF condition but now nothing is writing to the spreadsheet. Please advise.

Thanks for your help,
Aaron

Here’s what I’ve got for the new one…testRow email checker2.xaml (13.3 KB)

But it’s not writing to the file…

By “it’s not writing to the file” what do you mean? Are there errors?

From what it looks like is you read the datatable from the CSV then you write the same datatable without changing anything back to the file, so it might be working but you aren’t changing anything in the datatable.

To change something you might use an Assign activity to set the validation column with a value so it updates the datatable.

Thanks.

1 Like

Right, its not changing the datatable. I’ll try to assign a value to the validation column and let you know what happens.

I’m not quite sure where to put the Assign activity, or what should go in it. This is what I tried…
testRow email checker3.xaml (13.6 KB)

I looked for hours for documentation on this…

Hello, sorry for late response.

On the “For Each” you have Foreach row in email.
“row” can be used in the Assign activity to put values in specific columns within each row of the datatable.

• For example —> row.Item(“columnname”) = “value”
    , that says make the cell in the column equal to the value as a string
    Alternatively, there are a few other ways to access a cell in the datatable, but for what you need we can keep it simple like the example.

You must also need to make sure that the column you are assigning exists in the datatable. You can add a column using the “Add Column” activity, if your spreadsheet doesn’t include the column initially.

So what we end up with for your Assign activity is with “Validation” as your columnname…

row.Item(“Validation”) = validation

Thanks.

Thanks Clayton! That makes sense now. I’ll try it tonight.

Yeah, still can’t get it to work for some reason. It’s ok though, I’m just cutting and pasting the output from the output window into the spreadsheet and it’s working fine. Thanks for your help Clayton.

No problem.
If you want, you can paste example Excel file you are working with and your current workflow, and I could check out why it’s not working.