Best practices to chain processes

Hello UiPath community,

I would like to chain different processes, what are the best practices and functionalities to do it?

Here is my case (my processes will be executed on a Virtual Machine with a dedicated robot A):

• Process A start at 7am on robot A.
  • Process B should start when process A is over and on robot A.
  • Process C should start when process B and C are over and on robot A too.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Hi

You can:

1. set a time trigger for process A and at the end of process A, start process B. At end of process B, start process C
  2. If you need to use three different queues for each process, then you could also set a time trigger for process A, queue trigger for processes B and C. At the end of process A fill in queue for process B. Process B starts automatically due to queue trigger. At the end of process B, fill in queue for process C. Process C starts automatically due to queue trigger.

Hello dimibot,
I am using the orchestrator in version 2019.4.3, and it seems the trigger option is not available.
Do you have another soluton in mind? thanks.

Are you referring to queue trigger? I don’t know when it was introduced but it is available in 2019.10 orchestrator. If you don’t have queue trigger then your only option is to start the next process at the end of current process

Yes, I was referring to queue trigger.
And how can i do this? should I just set up a different job schedule time?
For instance =>

• Process A schedule at 7am on robot A.
  • Process B schedule at 7:30am on robot A.
  • Process C schedule at 8:00am on robot A.

If want for process B to execute even after process A fails, then it is possible to use three different schedules. I don’t know how long process A takes to complete but if it takes less than 30 minutes then your robot will not be used for some minutes. You can set a tighter schedule e.g. after 1 minute for process B and after 2 minutes for process C. In this case process B and C will be in pending state in Orchestrator and execute in order (first in first out) as soon as process A finishes.

If you don’t want for process B to execute after process A has failed, then an option is to use start job activity at the end of process A https://docs.uipath.com/activities/docs/start-job
The same applies for process B.