Bad user experience with the act Activities menu

Hello.

The way the Activities menu presents itself out of the box is very confusing.

1. All filters should be activated BY DEFAULT (for example something like in the image below) simply because it makes more sense to have everything visible right from the start.
    And this is valid especially when there are important updates that add/change the activities.

Thank you and I hope the improvements won’t stop :).

Have a nice day!

After having done dozens of automations I do not find this to be the case. I rarely use Show Classic any more, for example. What would be great is if when you change the filter it saves your choices for whenever you open Studio in the future.

1 Like

Reading my post as it is would probably lead to the same conclusion like the one you posted but due to the s*ity limitation from UiPath that allows me to only add one media attachment to the post, I was unable to make my point so to say.

Therefore I cordially invite you to see the continuation here Bad user experience with the Activities Menu - part 2 - Feedback / Activities - UiPath Community Forum

Due to the - at least by me - unheard of policy of limiting media material postings by new users to only 1, please observe the below continuation to my previous topic Bad user experience with the act Activities menu 1 - Feedback / Activities - UiPath Community Forum

1. The way activities are NAMED and/or distributed in the menu is well…quite appalling. A search for “Read Range” gives us 3 options, of which 2 look identical in the left selection pane, but all three are functionally different:

I know that the main argument here will be that they belong do different categories but in 2021 I am sure that something better can be done here.

I do hope someone from the UiPath staff will pick up on this.

The categories tell us everything we need to know, and this works well. Why is it such a problem to simply look at the categories to figure out what’s what? The first one is the modern Read Range for use in Excel Application Scope, the second one is the Workbook Read Range which doesn’t require EAS, and the last one is the classic Read Range.

1 Like

The categories tell us everything we need to know, and this works well. Why is it such a problem to simply look at the categories to figure out what’s what? The first one is the modern Read Range for use in Excel Application Scope, the second one is the Workbook Read Range which doesn’t require EAS, and the last one is the classic Read Range.

Well, maybe, in the case of Read Range for use in Excel Application Scope - which has a different icon - one could let the above argument slide, but in the case of the last 2 Read Ranges, you have the same name and icons for activities that act differently.

MAYBE YOU as an experienced user, who has been using UiPath for who knows how long time, know WHY are these activities different and don’t care about categories anymore, but I don’t find it that easy to distinguish them.

For example, today I needed for the tutorial the Read Range from the Classical Menu which wasn’t even activate by default in UiPath and my search was finding only the Read range from the System category.

I only wrote these two topics because maybe there are others who see thing like me. UiPath focuses attracting new users all the time and this is what I had in mind when I posted. You are an experienced user and already see things in another (“biased”) way… :slight_smile:

PS: @postwick : Actually, I’d really appreciated if you used your wits in a practical dilemma I have, which would be more suitable for a user of your caliber, here: Pivot table customization - remove Subtotal/Grand Total rows - Help / Activities - UiPath Community Forum Thanks in advance mate!

But they look different and are easily differentiated, as the Workbook versions have the field for the file path.

I’m not sure how organizing them differently nor labeling them differently would help you understand why they’re different. That’s what documentation and training are for.

Sorry, I don’t know anything about doing pivot tables with UiPath.

Hi @Matt_RPA

Let’s start with this one:

The limitation is only there for very new accounts, and has already been lifted for you due to reaching higher trust level (getting from trust level 0 to trust level 1 is actually quite quick). You can read more about that here.

Fair point. We are generally aware of the need to clean things up in the long run and will in the future.

In an interesting way, not enabling all filters by default was actually thought to be the step to promote the modern experiences and help new users this way :sweat_smile:

I’ll save your feedback in our internal ideas tracker for further consideration by the Studio team.

1 Like