Automation Suite On-Prem and Ocr utilization

hello everyone,

a question: are there any reachability issues in a private on-prem automation suite context for accessing OCR services? Example, UiPath ocr, Omnipage, etc.

I ask as the machines do not have external access and I was wondering how they can invoke such services.

Thank you

1 Like

Hi

In a private on-premises automation suite without external internet access, accessing OCR services like UiPath OCR or Omnipage can be challenging

UiPath’s OCR engines, such as Google Cloud OCR and Microsoft OCR, typically require internet access because they rely on cloud-based services to perform the optical character recognition. These OCR engines send the input image to the respective cloud service, where the image is processed, and text extraction takes place.

Tessaract and omnipage doesn’t need any external services

The key difference is that everything happens locally on your machine, making it suitable for scenarios where internet access is restricted or when you need to keep data processing entirely within your organization’s network for security or compliance reasons. Tesseract is a popular choice for offline OCR because it’s open-source, free to use, and highly configurable.

Cheers @Singh7633

1 Like

in the case of using document understanding, again in an on-prem automation suite context, do you see it limiting that you cannot use other OCRs outside of tesseract and omnipage?

Whereas, in case the machines were connected to the internet, how can I connect to the ocr UiPath, having an on-prem installation?

You can ofcourse
This happens basically with UiPath service named AI CENTER
It’s there for even On Prem
I shared the above view for OCR in specific which acts through Internet for some and some don’t need as they are pre trained

@Singh7633