About Trial Licensing Robots

License type(Free, Trial/License code):

Hello friends,
I created one remote Windows Server environment to simulate the environment with my customer.
Now I have installed only the Robot on this server.
How can I use some trial licence to test if my project is working correctly (note I don’t want to use Orchestrator).

If someone could help me that would be awesome

1 Like

@srdjan.suc

Try Enterprise Edition trail version and with that we can install UiRobot only and check it.

I have installed just the Robot, but when I try to run the process it says that I need a license

@srdjan.suc

Till now I didn’t try with license. So, I don’t have much idea on this. Then without license, we can’t run it.

@loginerror @ovi @Pablito

Is it possible to run only UIRobot without license ?

Hi @srdjan.suc

Please see here on how to use the command line tool to license your Robot from the command line:

The trial key should allow you to license multiple robots, so that should not be an issue.

How do I obtain trial licence?

I will try that later (when i find out), because right now I have problem with pulling the project from Orchestartor.
The scenario is like this :
I installed Ui Path robot on Remote desktop (Windows Server 2016).
I connected the Robot to Community Version Orchestrator (So I can obtain the development licence).
After that I pulled one project from the Orchestrator (note, that this project has some Custom Activities).

After trying to run the Robot i get the exception :
###Error detecting project version###

If some one could help me with this, then I’lll procede with testing the environment with trial licence

There are multiple important questions here.

I will start with a short explanation of different options. For simplicity, this is what you will see when you click image on uipath.com:

Option 1 and 3 will forward you to the same Public Preview of our platform.uipath.com.
With option 1 - Community Cloud Account, you can:

• have maximum 1 Orchestrator instance
  • have 2 Studio developer licenses and 3 robots
  • you can use the Orchestrator for production if your company is smaller than 5 million $ in yearly revenue or has less than 250 machines

With option 3 - Enterprise Cloud Account, you can:

• request more licenses
    (in fact, requesting licenses will convert your account to the Enterprise one)
  • create multiple tenants
  • have unlimited licensing for studio and robots
  • And from the agreement: “The Enterprise Account allows SMB and LB to evaluate its suitability for their internal business requirements and non-profit purposes (such as education, hackathons, individual or institutional research, trainings, private demonstrations of UiPath’s software). The Enterprise Account is not available to individuals.”

Now, a bit about option 2 - the 60-day trial. This is the option you will need if you want the trial key that lasts 60 days.
With this, you can:

• install Orchestrator on your own infrastructure
  • license it with the 60-day trial key
  • etc

With all that said, I think your scenario is quite simple. Simply make sure your version of Studio on all environments is the latest Community Edition 2019.7 and you should be good to go. I have received the same error while trying to run a process developed in 2019.7 on a machine with Studio CE 2019.6.

As to the trial keys, I would advise to simply evaluate using either option 1 or 3. This way all you need to do is connect your machine to Orchestrator and you are good to go license-wise.

3 Likes

Okay, understood.

Just one question, I wanted to install just the Robot because my customer won’t be getting Studio licence (this is just a made up scenario).
Also, I want to protect my xaml files (Since I am selling the solution, I don’t want for my customer to have access to my files), but, from what I can see, even if there is no studio installed, my Robot, when he runs the nupkg file, he creates copy of my project xaml files so the Executor can run them?

If this is correct, is there anyway that I can protect my “source code”?

Also, when I installed CE Studio on remote pc I saw that it is different version that the one that I’ve made the solution.
Damn, there is so much that I have to learn to be able to implement RPA solutions.

1 Like

You can navigate to here to download either the .exe installer or the .MSI installer. With the .MSI installer, you can select only Robot to be installed.
You will then have to follow the guide I linked above on how to use the command line to connect your robot to Orchestrator.

As to the protection of the xaml solution, I am afraid it is not set in place as of now. The only valid way of managing the files this way would be to have a machine with restricted permissions, in which only the Robot service can access the files. The user account should not be able to see them.

As to the last question - the Studio Community Edition .exe installer will always auto-update when re-launched and with new version being available. The Enterprise .MSI installer does not.
It is also important to mention that processes developed on older versions will always work on the future versions (or at least that we do our utmost best for this to be true). The other way around is possible, but not guaranteed. For example, I think 2019.7 introduced an upgraded project.json scheme which is not compatible with 2019.6 (and this is why projects developed in 2019.7 might not run on 2019.6).

I hope it helps! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, I’ve downloaded the .MSI Installer because I wanted to install only the Robot. (I didn’t manage to solve this problem only with the Robot so I installed the Studio also).

Do Robots also have versions? Since, when I installed the Studio I noticed that it also have the same Error as the Robot.
(CE Studio version on my PC is 2019.7, and CE Studio version on my Remote PC is 2019.4.4. so I cannot start Main.xaml file from the Remote PC).

When will my Studio update, can I update it manually and how can I assure that Robot version that I install on some machine is the same version as my solution ?
Also, if I use custom activities in my project, then publish the project in .nupkg file, do I need to do something with those activities in my Remote environment (The Robot) or I packed all the activities in that initial .nupkg

Also, thank you for detailed explanations it helps very much.

Yes, the robots do have the versions too.

In your scenario, I would opt for the Enterprise installer also for your own development machine. You will still be able to license it via the Community Orchestrator, but it will no longer auto-update.

Naturally, you will then be working on 2019.4.4 on all environments.

It is not possible to only installer the Robot with the .exe installer.

If the 2019.7 version is absolutely necessary, you could try contacting our insider team for the .msi installer of the 2019.7 version here Insider-Preview@UiPath.com.

EDIT
If you have already developed your process in 2019.7 and it doesn’t open in lower versions, you can still try to delete the project.json file and running the Main.xaml with an older Studio. It is not guaranteed, but it should just recreate the project.json of that older Studio version and open the project with no problem. You might have to reinstall any packages afterwards to see your activities (in case you used some non-default ones).

1 Like

In your scenario, I would opt for the Enterprise installer also for your own development machine. You will still be able to license it via the Community Orchestrator, but it will no longer auto-update. Naturally, you will then be working on 2019.4.4 on all environments.

Yes, I had the same thoughts.

Just, one more question aboutCustom Activities. I published my project with Custom Activities, do I need to install them manually to my robot/studio, or are they packaged with project that I published?

If i need to install them (the nupkg files) where do I need to put them on my hard drive?

Many thanks from me and my team :grinning:

See here for more info:

Especially this bit:

If the Robot is not connected to Orchestrator, nor does it find the required activities in the local feed, a MyGet feed, https://www.myget.org/F/workflow/ , can be used. This is the official online UiPath feed from which the Package Manager in Studio also retrieves its activities. It contains the activity packages that are officially supported by UiPath. This feed is disabled by default. To enable it, go to Settings > Manage Sources in Studio, and select the corresponding check box. More details about managing activity packages in our Studio guide here.

And also here:

2 Likes

Nice, thank you !! :slight_smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.