Wait for Element To Disappear w/ Periodic Retries

I am trying to automate filling out a multi-step web form. Between each step is a page-load spinner which must disappear before the next step can be completed. It can take anywhere from 5 - 90 seconds for the spinner to disappear. I would like to create an activity that checks every 3 seconds to see if the spinner has disappeared, and then moves to the next activity once it has disappeared. I believe this would involve a Check App State, inside of a Scope Retry? But I’m not exactly sure how to set that up. If there are easier ways of doing this, I am open to other ways. Thank you!

1 Like

What is the next activity? Many of the modern activities now have retry built right into them. Here is the Click activity’s retry settings:

Thank you @postwick. Most of the next activities are nested within an “If” condition. I don’t see a retry option for If’s.

Yeah that makes sense.

However, you don’t need a Retry for what you’re trying to do. The Check App State activity can be set to wait for an element to disappear, and the timeout can be set to 90 seconds (or whatever you need). Assuming the element disappears before the timeout is reached, the activity is immediately successful and moves to the next activity.

1 Like

With the check app state, I was under the impression that it checks whether the item has disappeared only after the timeout time has been reached. I think you’re saying that it constantly checks the element state, and that at the moment the element disappears, at any time within the timeout period, it will move onto the next activity? If that’s the case, then great!

Also, which activity would be used to move to the next activity, once the element has disappeared? I’ve seen Comment activities used to do this, but not sure. Thank you.

No next activity is necessary. Check App State waits for it to disappear. After the timeout, it executes one of the two branches (which you can also leave blank).

It worked, thank you @postwick !

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.