Unable to place / toggle breakpoint with right-button menu

Now Studio is not allowing me to place breakpoints on activites from the context menu, when I right-click with the mouse. After scratching my head for minutes, I went to the “Debug” tab and, after clicking on the desired activity, I could place it with the “Toggle breakpoint” button from the top “ribbon”, but the context menu option is still greyed out when I right click on the activity.

Hi @pere,

User shortcut key “F9” and reset the settings.

Thanks,

Hello @pere

1. Ensure you are using the latest UiPath Studio version.
  2. Check that you are in Debug mode.
  3. Verify you are working with a Process or Sequence workflow.
  4. Right-click on an executable activity that supports breakpoints.
  5. Restart UiPath Studio.
  6. Check for keyboard shortcut conflicts.

Thanks & Cheers!!!

Thanks @Kartheek_Battu ,

Obviously I checked all those points before posting, and I already pointed out some of them in my original post.

I already said that I tryied going to the “Debug” tab. And, in fact, I could place the breakpoint from the button there. But that’s not the point. What you mean by “in debug mode”? I’ve always been able to place breakpoints via right-click without being in a debug session.

The process, sequence or whatever I’m working with of course accepts breakpoints, as I already showed you in one of the screenshots after I finally placed it there.

I’m always on the latest version, as they are rolled up automatically by the team.

Restarting UiPath of course I already know it’s something I can try. But I’m reporting a bug. I don’t want to be restarting it and stopping my workflow each time it happens, but it to be taken care of by UiPath team.

Other comment like “keyboard shortcut conflicts” are misleading or I don’t find a sense for it, as I reported that it’s not showing up on the context menu; nothing to do with keyboard shortcuts. And, anyway, I’m not using any special set up on my computer for those things.

@RajKumar_DC,

This is a bug report. I don’t want to use workarounds or other methods of placing breakpoints and/or reset any settings. I just want to do it from the context menu; if you read the original post you’ll see I already found out other methods of placing the breakpoint but that’s not the point.

Sincerely, I think doing this sort of comments for the sake of getting “likes” or “accepted answers” without even properly reading and understanding the report and just copy&pasting a series of recipes should be allowed…

Second time in mere minutes. I don’t think I can be restarting Studio every 5 minutes.
Plus almost all options in the context menu are greyed out, except for “Run from this activity” and “Test activity”. It’s like it stayed on a debugging session, but it isn’t.

You know what’s happening? It’s exactly like that. After a stop a debugging sessions, the right-button context menu options are not available, like if it still was debugging.

So not only this, but any other action like commenting/disabling an activity is not gonna work. Do you think, @loginerror or any other members of the staff, this it is feasible to have to restart Studio EVERY TIME I stopp debugging to get it functional again??

There’s a lot of issues with debugging; in fact, in this same project I’m messing with Excel files, creating a new one and filling its contents. After I stop debugging, if I try to run the application again, then it will complain that the Excel file itself it is creating is corrupted or whatever! And what happens is that, if I open Windows Task Manager, I see there’s still an Excel process running (that’s not visible because I choosed not to show the Excel application in my activity) and I have to manually kill it before any other attempt to run my code. OMG, this is far from being ready for production! And I know this Excel issue doesn’t go here, but honestly, I’m spending most of my work time making two or three bug reports here and I don’t want to open another one!

It isn’t ideal, that is for sure!

I tried to reproduce this behaviuor, but I wasn’t able to. I am wondering - does the same thing happen to you on a fresh project, or only on this one?

I can also see that you are running a project from a repository. Maybe this is somehow a factor :confused:

If possible, would you be able to either get this to reproduce on a fresh, dummy project (which you could hopefully share over here), or record a short video with a dummy workflow that could showcase the steps to get this to occur?
One way I tend to debug things like this is to work on a copy of the project and delete it piece by piece to arrive at a minimum project that still reproduces the issue.

It looks to me like it could be a combination of multiple factors (maybe even due to the project living through multiple versions of Studio), and trimming it down by a lot would help us figure out the issue. I know it is a big ask, but I struggled to reproduce this myself.

There you go. Here’s a video showing the behaviour.

1 Like

Thank you.

Just in case it matters, some extra questions:

• which source control is being used for the above project?
  • also, does it maybe happen after you debugged this project a few times? (to maybe confirm something, in case it “gets stuck” in the debug “mode”, which I assume would disable these controls for the time of debugging).

Randombly clicking here and there sometimes makes it get working again. But sometimes it takes me ages to find the right spot to get the options enabled again.

FYI I’ve had all sorts of odd intermittent problems with items in the context menu (ie right click) being greyed out for no reason. And also for no particular reason it starts working again.

I am beginning to suspect that whatever is running under the hood to validate code as you add activities and configure them, type expressions etc sometimes takes a long time to run and freezes up other things while it’s running. I’ve noticed sometimes it takes a long time for the red ! icon to go away from an activity after I’ve configured it.

1 Like

Hi,

It’s under GIT.

I’ll pay more attention next time, but I’d say that, even if I’ve debugged the same project a million times before, it happens even with a fresh instance of Studio, prior to even starting debbuging this same project.

1 Like

It still happens on Studio 2023.12.0.

I can’t even recall if this time it’s happening after a debugging session or I didn’t debug yet, but the right context options are greyed out. In this case I realized when trying to disable an activity. Here it goes a (7-zipped) video showing it:

no-right-click-options.7z (1.8 MB)

By the way:

I just pressed CTRL+D to disable the activity… And then, after that, all the context menu options went “ungreyed out” again.

Is anybody taking care of this?

This is only to confirm that this issue was tracked down and will be fixed in Studio 24.2.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.