Unable to open unique browser for each excel file

Hi,

I am developing an automation using REFramework with the following requirements:

1. Download Excel files from a SharePoint to Input folder. The file has member IDs (column A), names (Column B) and a browser link (Column D).
  2. Combine ID and name of a person in separate column C.
  3. Open browser using the link in Column C and copy the combined data (column C).

I am able to combine the IDs and name but when I try to open the browser for each file, it is opening for each member ID. My requirement is that if there are 2 excel files with “X” numbers of IDs and names, only 2 browser should open using the link available in column D for each file. In my case, suppose there are 5 member IDs in an excel file, the browser is opening 5 times instead of 1 time.

Please help anyone help me with this issue.

0622-JPMN-ASPMN.xlsx (15.7 KB)

Hi @Karunamurthy,

You could try with Modern Design and choose “Use Application/Browser” activity with the following options:
2022-10-22 13_57_06-Window
Close: Never
Open: IfNotOpen
Resize window: Maximize

It will only opens if its not opened yet, so it will launch just 1 time.

Hope this helps!

Kind regards,
Robert

Hello @Karunamurthy

Your requirement is little confusing. Are you trying to read the excel and to get the value from the excel and then trying to open the link in the column D using Open Browser or Use Application/Browser activity?

In the shared excel only one link is available.

Thanks

Hi @Rahul_Unnikrishnan,

Sorry for the confusion!

Yes, trying to read the excel and to get the value from the excel and then trying to open the link in the column D using Open Browser or Use Application/Browser activity.

I have multiple excel files in the same format but with different IDs, names and different link.

For example, see attached sample two Excel files.

Thank you for your help!

Regards,
Karunamurthy N

0622-JPMN-ASPMN.xlsx (16.0 KB)
0722-JACR-ACR.xlsx (168.4 KB)
for each excel provided in Column D.

Hi Robert,

Thank you for suggestion!

I tried but it is not working. Let me retry again and see all settings.

By any chance we can do it using without modern design?

Kind regards,
Karunamurthy N

Hi @Karunamurthy,

Are you using Chrome or Edge browser? If not, you should pick something else then Chromium API in your Use Application/Browser activity. (Simulate would be the best option)
Do you get an error while launching your browser?

Regards,
Robert

Hi @Karunamurthy
It’s opening the link every time because it’s inside the foreach loop.
I suggest that you open the link first and then loop through your values:

• first get the link using excel read cell activity (since it’s always same row column D)
  • and then loop through your rows.
    Let me know if that works for you