Unable to Create Choice Set values that start with Numbers

Hello,

I’m trying to create a Choice Set of data that has an attribute named “Sample Duration”. The standards defined in the data indicate that these sample duration units start with numbers.

However, DS does not permit creating Choice Sets with choices that begin with numbers. Am I missing something here?

I can get around this by creating an Entity instead. But the question is why can’t it be a CS?

Thanks!
-Andy

@AndyMenon ,

Name will be kind of variable name which cannot start with numeric value. You can use something like OneHour or Hour1. This will not be visible to user so will not spoil the UI.

Display Name you can use whatever you want and will be visible to user.

Thanks,
Ashok :slight_smile:

Hi @ashokkarale ,

I have since converted this into an entity. But here is another limitation even if I use the name attribute to elaborate the Choice Set value.

How can this be? Yes or No is the most basic form that is a candidate for a Choice Set and I must be able to create it as naturally as I can. I could use “Noo” or “NotYes” as name, but that would not be intuitive even if it’s an internal variable.

Thanks,
-Andy

I set some guidelines.

There are many candidates for Picklist with values beginning with a number.

1. The Yes/No Choice Set is a one time thing, and therefore I mapped the values to YES and NOO respectively.
  2. If the list is small, say less than 5 values then it goes into a Choice Set and the “name” attributes will be mapped
  3. But if the list is long and more values are expected to be added to this picklist, then they go into an Entity.

This way we can save some time in mapping CS values to variable names.

That said, there is no getting around to some data points that begin with numbers and we have to do the one time work of mapping the names when creating the Entity

Example:

• 1st Max Reading mapped to Max Reading 1st
  • 1st Max Reading DateTime mapped to Max Reading DateTime 1st

Thanks,
-Andy

1 Like