Save outlook mail as .msg file

Dear Sirs, I need to save outlook mail as a .msg file , for it may have image in that email.

I tried to save it as a .eml file but can not read the image inside the email.

Is there any way?

1 Like

Hi,

Try with this workflow to save outlook mails as .msg format.

OutlookMailReader.xaml (6.8 KB)

and refer this post for the difference between .msg and .eml before make decision to save it as .msg

1 Like

Hi sarahi , sure I can save file name as mailbody.msg , but the problem is that the mailbody.msg file can not be opened normally. Maybe the mailitem type can not be saved as .msg file in the first place . So I am wondering if there’s another way to get and save the outlook mail which can be read with pictures.

Any solution yet? i have the same problem. if i save the mail item as .eml i cant see the pictures. It is written that the linked Image cannot be displayed.

Hi,

try to save email with format .eml and convert to .msg by using this component https://go.uipath.com/component/mail-message-converter

Indra

1 Like

Sorry, this component doesn’t exists any more

Hi there,
Have a look at my Alphabet.Workflow.Activities.
It’s available in your Community-Plugins:
https://gallery.uipath.com/packages/Alphabet.Workflow.Activities/

There is an activity called “SaveOutlookMailAs”. With this activity you can save an outlook-message as
MSG, RTF, TXT, HTML, …

Feedback is warmly welcome!
Best regards
Markus

2 Likes

Markus,

I have issues using the alphabet package, returning inconsistently an operation failed error message:

Exception Type: System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException

An ExceptionDetail, likely created by IncludeExceptionDetailInFaults=true, whose value is:
System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException: The operation failed.
at Microsoft.Office.Interop.Outlook.NameSpaceClass.GetItemFromID(String EntryIDItem, Object EntryIDStore)
at Alphabet.Outlook.AlphabetOutlookApi.getMailItem(MailMessage message)
at Alphabet.Outlook.AlphabetOutlookApi.saveMailMessageAs(MailMessage message, String path, MailOutput outputFormat)
at Alphabet.Outlook.SaveOutlookMailAs.Execute(NativeActivityContext context)
at System.Activities.NativeActivity.InternalExecute(ActivityInstance instance, ActivityExecutor executor, BookmarkManager bookmarkManager)
at System.Activities.ActivityInstance.Execute(ActivityExecutor executor, BookmarkManager bookmarkManager)
at System.Activities.Runtime.ActivityExecutor.ExecuteActivityWorkItem.ExecuteBody(ActivityExecutor executor, BookmarkManager bookmarkManager, Location resultLocation)

2 Likes

Hi @SoqedHozi,
which Outlook version are you using?
Regards
Markus

@mwerner Latest version, office 365. The get mail messages activity is working (the subsequent move activity is) but this is failing regularly though not every time. My workflow is:

Filename is mail.Subject.GetHashCode.ToString+mail.Body.GetHashCode.tostring+mail.Headers(“Date”).GetHashCode.tostring+mail.Sender.tostring.GetHashCode.tostring+datetime.today.ToString(“ddMMyyyy”)

Thanks for your reply, I’ve been struggling to resolve this for over a week!

i have the same error says operation fails

My solution was to use a converter activity instead of the save as. Indeed, I had issues with the converted files too, but they serve the purpose I had for them. The issues were addressed by saving both /eml files and the converted .msg files and using both formats where they were appropriate.

save the mail message and later convert to msg

Has there been a resolution for this? @mwerner I’ve been using your ‘SaveOutlookMailAs’ activity and am getting ‘The operation failed’ error regularly.

I’m getting the same error.

Any solution so far?

Thanks!

Hi @rachel.ellis ,
which Outlook version are you using?
are you trying to save an email or something else like a calendar-invitation which is in your inbox? This problem can occur on non-email-elements and will be solved in the next version.
Best regards

I am experiencing the same issues with standard emails. Only appears in unattended mode. Running via Studio works.

Any solution for this? I need to have the outlook component because .msg is a requirement :confused:

Thank you so far.