Prerequisite "Run Test_Framework workflow from the REFramework"

Hello, I understand why this test framework exists, but why is this a prerequisite of the practical exam? It was never covered in any of the training material, it doesn’t run successfully out of the box, it’s not included in the AdvancedCertification-GradingScheme matrix, and @loginerror says “I wouldn’t worry about it.” in post Certification Practical Exam prerequisites - #3 by loginerror

Please help me understand what the intent is as it applies to the practical exam. Are we expected to add test xaml files and/or configs for each project xaml file along with their different arguments?

Clearer expectations would be most helpful.

Thanks!

Hi @jzapp

I believe the ReFramework usage is enforced because it grew to become the standard to process transaction based data (which the certification is an example of).

As to the particular file that is missing and the prerequisites that are requested, I believe it is simply required for the automated process to properly evaluate your submission.

Hi @loginerror
Thanks for the reply. I wasn’t referring to the REFramework itself. I do understand that the REFramework is the preferred template, especially for the practical exam. My question is specifically addressing the Test_Framework portion of it. I guess this is why I am asking for clearer expectations and requirements. You “believe” that a missing file is required for evaluation. (This doesn’t sound very clear.)
So are we expected to add a stub/dummy file to simply satisfy the Test_Framework workflow so it runs without failing?

Thanks again!

I think it works as is, which would mean that the pre-requisite is simply a necessary part of the process so that the evaluation .
We try not to discuss the evaluation process and this is why you might have to take it just as it is.

Having said that, I think this might be a conscious decision of the ReFramework author to showcase what will happen when running the test routine on files that are not there :smiley:

Maybe @Mihai_Dunareanu could help here :slight_smile:

Hi,
@jzapp Do you understand now what is it exactly, I also have the same thing in my mind.

Hello @yash_bhawsar,
Unfortunately, I haven’t been able to get a straight answer yet. And if you download the latest version of the REFramework from github (GitHub - UiPath/ReFrameWork: Robotic Enterprise Framework Template), you’ll notice there is no “Test_Framework” folder… only “Tests”. It’s quite frustrating when the requirements are so vague and the documentation doesn’t match up with what’s on github. And don’t even get me started on the readme.md :slight_smile:

It would also be nice if the REFramework was versioned so we could be instructed on which version to use and submit.

Hi everyone,

I will answer the thread insofar as the Test component of the ReFramework is involved.
It’s is to offer a mechanism for the RPA developer to test pieces of their automation, aka develop Unit Tests.

It consists of the following components:

• _Tests.xlsx - a excel file containing a two sheets. On the first sheet is the list of paths for the workflows that will be tested and the expected output of the test. The second sheet contains the result of the test: for example if an AppEx is is the expected output for a test and the exception happens during the running of the test, it is a PASS.
  • RunAllTests.xaml - the entry point to the test framework, this will run the files specified in _Tests.xlsx
  • _Test.xaml - an empty example test. The reasoning why this file contains an invoke of the InitAllSettings.xaml is because, since we are invoking a list of totally unrelated tests, we need to make sure their Interface is the same (their input/output signatures must match). Notice the test is self-contained, meaning it has no arguments, for the purpose explained above.

So, for a brief review of how this works:

1. Design self contained tests.
  2. Add them to the _Tests.xlsx file
  3. Run RunAllTests.xaml

The difficulty of designing your tests is precisely the fact that each one has to be self contained. Let’s consider that we want to test a part of a UiAutomation (the hardest example):
We need to do the following in the test:

• Obtain all of the values needed to open the Ui application (paths, urls and so forth)
  • Open the application and navigate it safely up to the point we want to test.
  • Test the respective section.

Obviously, there should be multiple tests for each section.

As for an explanation of what the practical exam entails with regard to the Test framework, I can’t answer that as I am not familiar with it.

Hope this helps

5 Likes