Does anyone has faced outlook email issue?
we see in the orchestrator log that email has been sent, but we dont receive any email.
when we tried manually we are able to send email. we are using Outlook and send email activity.
Appreciate if someone can share their experience on this.
Did we try with SEND EXCHANGE MAIL ACTIVITY where we can mention the credentials of outlook
The properties to be mentioned are
The server Usually is “https://outlook.office365.com/EWS/Exchange.asmx”,
username should be “firstname.lastname@example.org”, and mention the password.
in ExchangeVersion, usually latest is good for Office365
But before to that check with outbox in your outlook
Is it showing status as connected online
Send SMTP Email is simpler and more reliable.
Can you check in the sent items of the outlook box?
How the orchestrator says that the email has been sent, you must be using log message for that, that’s not sufficient to assume activity worked well.
Ideally if it is not working, it should throw error. Please check if ‘Continue on error’ is on for that activity? Check that k properties panel and if checked, par uncheck that selection.
Try on debug mode and check if there’s any error. If you are able to send manually then the password it not an issue. Otherwise, the activity will do its job and proceed but as outlook is waiting for new password to be updated, it’ll make the emails stay on outbox until password is updated for outlook. Par hage a check on the password too.
Also, can you confirm if you have the, enable script action as on?
Below link would help you to get started for settings part.
Were we able to solve this with exchange mail activities
Outlook send email got started working automatically, The activity got passed while Robot was running and sending email and we did not see any error or any emails in outbox. Unfortunately we could not find the reason behind it. we could not replace outlook with SMTP or exchange as the code was in PROD.
So is it running fine now
just a suggestion
if you say it is in prod then you should dissect this issue, that might reappear as it disappeared, automatically.
Check your event viewer logs and see if you get anything there.
The machine has outlook and it’s a VM, so chances are that the outlook wasn’t working due network related issue. You’d get the details in event viewer.