Multiple browser windows or multiple tabs? - Solved

studio

Hi, I am working on a project where I need to interact with two different web applications and wanted to know what are the advantages and disadvantages of having the robot open two browser windows vs having two tabs in the same window.

One application requires IE, and the other will work in IE and Chrome. Firefox is not usable for either.

I’ve tried searching for this and only found how-to’s for opening tabs and switching between them. I’m more concerned with which is better to make the robot more stable and quicker.

Thanks in advance!

Technically speaking, there is no difference between a browser window being displayed in a tab or a separate window. They both will share sessions and state (unless one window was opened using incognito mode).

So, from this point it’s just a matter of personal preference. When writing attended bots, you may want to prefer windows over tabs, split the screen, and have one window on the left, the other one on the right, especially when data is being transferred between those two applications.

The only thing that will have an impact on the system’s resources are whether you have one or two (different) browsers open at the same time (e.g. IE and Chrome).

I haven’t noticed any performance flaws with using tabs. I pretty much use tabs for everything unless the application opens a popup. Either way, the robot needs to switch to the other window/tab and back again, so there is no time difference, whether it can see that window visible already or not.

However, you do need to add another step to choose “Close current tab only”, because you don’t want “close all tabs” selected.

So I’m in agreement with redlynx, that it’s matter of preference.

EDIT: actually, I use a mixture of windows and tabs. I use a new window any time I open a new application, and any links associated with that application I use tabs.

closed #4

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.