Modern Design vs Classic design

I am Exploring the Modern Design in uipath and i am confused when should i go for Modern design and what are the good use cases for modern design compare to classic one.
I will appreciate it if any one explain an example.

@afsaneh_keivani

Welcome to forums

I suggest to refer below link to understand the difference and more about the modern design and classic design

Hope this may help you

Thanks

Hi Srini
Thank you for your reply.
I have read that page and I know the difference.
So based on best practices ,are people using the modern design in their projects?
Is there any scenario that we have to just use classic design?

Thanks

Hey!

In my opinion, I’d say that it would be better practice to use Modern design.

These activities, compared to the Classic ones, seem to be more dynamic, robust, and concise. For example, the Use Application/Browser can be used as a catch all for Open Application, Open Browser, Attach Window, Element Scope, Close Window, and Start Process activities. And the Modern Click activity (or other activities with target properties) has anchoring built in.

It does also look like some activities are being depreciated and I image that the Classic activities will be eventually as the Modern ones are updated.

Hope this helps!

2 Likes

You should always be using modern now. The activities are much improved, as are the way it does selectors.

Sometimes there’s a need to still use classic activities even if the project is modern. This is no issue, they can be mixed. On the activities tab click the filter icon and select “show classic” if you need the classic activities.

1 Like

I remember somewhere UiPath said they have no plans to deprecate the classic activities, but I suspect they won’t continue to update them.

1 Like

Thanks

Also, one of the coolest things they did with modern is you can just search for the same activities you’re used to, but it’ll show you the modern activity that replaced it.

Like if you search for “element exists” in your activities tab it’ll show you the “Check App State” activity that is the modern one. Makes the transition very easy on us developers.

I remember somewhere UiPath said they have no plans to deprecate the classic activities, but I suspect they won’t continue to update them.

Looks like the time line to deprecate is April 2023.

Honestly, before removing something they should make sure that new things are working as they should. I loved the idea initially, but after using it for a few large projects, I am not sure if it adds more benefits or unneeded headaches.

I am not sure if I am the only one, but some of the bad that I have experienced while working with modern:

• if process is large and object repository grows, Studio start to hang, freeze, become unresponsive. You get to a point that you thing faster than Studio can respond to.
  • Sometimes debugging gets VERY painful, as in there is a desync with what it shows on workflow designer and where execution actually is…
  • in case that you want to identify what application/browser is still open and close it in “Closeapplications” in ReFramework it is a pain to do cleanly in modern. if you just try to leverage “Use application/browser” it will throw exceptions if nothing is found. Best way so far that I could think of is to use “Element exists” from classic.
  • if you are working with multiple windows (browsers) since you want everything to have its proper place in object rep, you create new screen and assign objects there. Lets say new window shows up after a button is clicked. To me best place to do a check and retry activity would have been in click activity itself, but nooo you can not do it (or I haven’t found a way) since objects from new window will not be recognized/found.
  • “Use browser/application” with option window attach mode “application” seems to be attaching to first window it can “identify” if object you try to action on is not on the window it identified, it is not found.
1 Like

Most of your objections appear to be based on not really knowing how to properly use modern activities. For example, the Click activity has built-in confirmation that the click succeeded, including retry features:

Please read in detail what I have posted. But in case I wasn’t clear, let me reiterate:

1. I DO want to use retry feature of click activity
  2. I am unable to do so if element that I want to verify belongs to another window

Thanks

This is incorrect. I’ve done exactly what you’re talking about. The verify/retry includes its own dedicated selector so that it can be told to look for a different window.

Mind sharing small xaml file and image of object rep of used objects?

It doesn’t have anything to do with object repository. It’s a feature of the click activity, and others.