Is Headless vs Background, are they the same thing?

Hello Forum

The topic is as the title states, I’ve heard multiple times Headless and Background as if they were meant to mean different things. Hope someone con discuss and clarify this little but important question I have.

Thank you very much for your time and attention, Regards.

Hello @Luis_Fernando

As per my understanding both are similar but functional wise both are different. Fo example, if youa re using selenium, you can can execute the automation in headless mode. So it will not open any browser and we won’t able to see the execution. But in the backend it will execute the testcase and generates the report. (Browser without a user interface)

But in background process, you can see the execution. but even if your screen is locked then also it can work in background. Or if you minimize the application it can execute.

Thanks

Hi @Luis_Fernando

HeadLess - Use one dedicated machine and buy Unattended BOT licence and once you trigger it from Orchestrator then it will login and will perform actions.

Background Process Execution is performed by a Robot on a machine for a particular user . Processes run in the same Windows session at the same time. Each running process uses its own version of dependencies, even if multiple running processes require a different version of the same dependency.

Regards
Gokul