Integrating Data Service with UiPath Apps to Create a Dashboard

Video on UiPath Apps Use Case

I recently came across this video on @AndersJensen channel in which he invites @Parth_Doshi to present his use case on UiPath Apps. He creates a dashboard and uploads data to it from Excel.
I really liked his use case, and think its very creative.

I’m thinking of building on his idea, but the doubt I have is whether the data on the UiPath Apps Dashboards can be obtained from Data Services instead of Excel.

According to the Data Services docs, whatever data you store in Data Service will be accessible throughout the UiPath platform, so I think it is possible to achieve.

I wish to know if any of you have tried integrating Data Services with UiPath Apps, and if so, what its limitations were, seeing how the Data Services Package only contains a handful of activities.

Thanks in Advance!

4 Likes

Hey @ashwin.ashok

Thank you for your comments on video. I haven’t tried integrating yet but I am working on it you will soon see a video once I have successfully achieved also will post the limitations if any that I find.

1 Like

Thank you for your response, I will be looking forward to your tutorial!

Hi @ashwin.ashok,

Thanks for your question, the direct integration of Apps and Data Service is being worked on and will be released sometime next year. That will allow you to use data from Data Service directly in Apps without having to go through processes.

That said, you can use Data Service with Apps via Processes today as well. There are some things which work and some which don’t.

• Passing imported entities directly as In or Our or In/Out arguments to Apps doesn’t work today. The workaround right now is to pass String or Number or other basic arguments to the process and then using Data Service activities to create or read or update data in Data Service.
  • Passing an Array of imported data type from Data Service works well. The output of “Query Entity Records” activity can be easily changed to an array (and not List<>) using ToArray function. Once an array is passed to Apps, it can be used in List or Tables or Advanced List. (Selected property of simple List will work well but for Table or Advanced List will not work currently, as Apps will treat the entity as [object Object]). Here are couple of screenshots:
  • The third approach is to use Data Table for interaction between Apps and Processes and then convert the data table to entities variables in your automation to read/write to Data Service.
  • You can also build interesting scenarios as part of your Apps and attended automation like using Select File Activity to let the user select a file and upload it to Data Service and use Select Folder Activity to let a user select a folder location to download a file from Data Service.
3 Likes

Thank you for your detailed response, I’m looking forward to the next updates!

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.