Indicated target is not a valid UI element for the selectItem action

Using StudioX to build up a process to update the contact type as screenshot, however, I cannot indicate the drag down list to select the value. pop up the error message: The indicated target is not a valid UI element for the selectionItem action.

By the way, I am using the activity - “Select Item”.

Can anyone here help with me and advise how i can solve this issue ? Thanks in advance.

Hi @felix.guan

Please give the input in the item to select dropdown and indicate it once again on the screen where you want to select the drop down.

Thanks!

Thanks Shreyash,
I’ve tried according to your advice, but it is still always collecting target information for a long time (more than 10 min), also getting the same error message as screenshot below.

Have any other solution ? i am using StudioX.

Can you please restart the studio and then try? @felix.guan

Also any specific reason you are using the studioX?

Hello @felix.guan ,

Some dropdowns cannot be used with “Select Item” activity. Have you tried using click activity to select the dropdown and then the value ?

Thanks!
Athira

Thanks @athira.somasekharan
Have tried to use click activity, but how about the value selection? the value would not be fixed, they are from Excel column which maybe different with each rows.

I am a newer of Uipath, i focus on the process streamline. just would like to learn more about the automation and understanding StudioX is easier than Studio for those without develper skill. So i am using the StudioX to try to build up my first automation process. Thanks.

By the way, already restarted my computer and studio, but the issue still persist.

Hello,

For value selection also you can use click activity. You can pass the value to be clicked as variable into dynamic selector. Can you please click any of the dropdown value and paste the selector here? Will check and let you know how to pass the variable.

Thanks!
Athira

Can you please try below solved thread for studiox selecting the dropdown item.

Many thanks @athira.somasekharan
please refer the value listing in the excel to be input webpage. column B (Contact Type)

Could you please advise me how i can pass the variable ? Thanks.

Hello @felix.guan ,

Do these steps:

1. Assign the value of contact in a variable.
  2. in the selector, there is an aaname property. Delete whatever is in there inside the single quotes. Right click inside the single quotes and select the contact variable. This is a dynamic selector.

You can read more about dynamic selectors here:

Hope this helps!
Thanks

Many thanks @athira.somasekharan
this is very helpful to me. have learnt more about the dynamic selector. Thanks for your promt reply.

However, validate cannot turn to green after replace the nname with a variable.

1 Like

For testing you can hardcode with any value in the variable panel and try to validate it again. While running, it will automatically take the value from excel.

Hope this helps!
Thanks

1 Like

Thank you very much.

I just tried the process and it would click the fixed value instead of a dynamic value according to the variable.

Just noted the variable is not defined according to message in selector editor, this maybe the reason why the validate cannot pass. however, in StudioX, we cannot adjust the variable scope. Thanks.

Hello,

Please check this out. This is specific to StudioX:

Thanks!