Identify number of records in dynamic search result screen (desktop application window)

Hi

This is a desktop application and the process is like this. I will key in the ISBN and click on the ‘Search’ button. It will return the dynamic search result (may vary from 1 record to many records) where I need to select the record and click on ‘Display’ button to see the details of that record. Depending on the number of records the search result returns, I will need go through every single record to identify which record is the best. After which, I will select the best record and click on the ‘Capture’ button.

I am cracking my head on which activity I should be using to do this process. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Karen

HI @newbie_karen,
you can use find children activity to get the number of records in the Grid or table.

Regards,
Arivu

1 Like

Hi Arivu

Thanks for the information.

I will need to twig the codes as the filter is using java tag instead of TR tag. I am still working on/debugging the logic portion.

Thanks
Karen

Hi Karen,

Your application already tells you the number of records just above the box. You could probably look at using something like a get visible text activity to get that line and then replace everything except numbers to give you a final count. The replace pattern would look something like “[^0-9]”

From that there are several methods for selecting the correct record and all depends on your application really.

hope this helps.
Thanks

1 Like

Hi Jake

Thanks for the info.

The ‘Find Children’ activity returns an output of the variable ‘ReturnedChildren’. The value for the variable ‘ReturnedChildren’ is 15.

I did a ‘get text’ activity to identify the numbers (1, 2, 3, 4 and 5). However, I am only allowed to execute the first instance in the ‘for each’ activity. Below is the screenshot of the workflow. The error encounter when doing a second looping in the ‘for each’ activity is “Click ‘viewport’ : Click generic error.”.

Just to compare the differences, I did a separate desktop recording straight through from record 1 to record 3. I noticed that the UiPath.Core.Activities.Click selector properties had this code (<java role=‘label’ tableCol=‘0’ tableRow=‘1’ />). I am just thinking if it is possible to pass in the tableRow value as this value is a dynamic value (in this case it is the value 1 highlighted in bold).

Thanks
Karen