How to get a PDF file to Excel

Hello,

I am attempting to take a pdf file from my desktop and export it to an excel file.

Thanks.

1 Like

yah thats possible
we can use READ Pdf activity or READ PDF OCR activity to read the pdf and the output of either of these activities is a string variable (out argument)
–we can pass this as input to excel with write cell activity inside a excel application scope

Kindly correct me if i m wrong with the question
Cheers @jdabringer

It did not work It all went into cell A1 ad came out as mumbo jumbo. Not as the format we want.

negative. it did not work…

Oh, so what format you have other than mumbo jumbo…:upside_down_face:
just kidding
what format you hve and how you want to get that fed to excel
kindly elaborate a bit more on this
Cheers @jdabringer

Hi @jdabringer

Check this

Thanks
Ashwin S

Excel%20Grab

Ok so here are the two screen shots from that.

I hope you have used read text file actiivty which can be used to read .txt file
but ours is a pdf file
–so go to design tab → manage packages option → in official tab → search as uipath.pdf.activities and install it
–once after installing that use READ PDF or READ PDF OCR (if it has text as image) and get the output with a variable of type string named str_pdfText
–now use a excel application scope and pass the file path of excel as input
–inside this scope use a write cell activity and pass the input as str_pdfText and mention the sheetname and the cell range as well

NOTE : this method will enter all the data read from a pdf into a single cell of excel file

if we want it to be different then kindly let us know what format we hve in pdf actually how we want that to be entered to excel

Cheers @jdabringer

Ok So it grabs my title, but not my actual data. and I need it to grab my data. Thanks

Fine
if possible can i have a screenshot of your pdf

Cheers @jdabringer

Fine
hope this component could help you
https://go.uipath.com/component/pdf-to-excel

kindly let know if it didnt or for any queries and clarification
Cheers @jdabringer

Wait so how do I get that?

Because I added it to my UIPATH, but still don’t have the option for it on my UIPATH.

1 Like

Fine
go to design tab in your studio → click on manage packages option → in community tab → search as pdftoexcel like this

install and we can use it
Cheers @jdabringer

Ok So I got it downloaded and I started to run it. This is my process right now. and all it writes in excel is process completed.

1 Like

I hope we dont need the excel application scope
only pdftoexcel activity where inthe output property mention the excel filename.extension like outfile.xlsx
–then go to your project folder and check whether any excel file is created or not and for that go to project panel (beside activity panel) in your studio and click on open project folder.

i m not sure and i think it works in that way only
Cheers @jdabringer

I hope we dont need the excel application scope
only pdftoexcel activity where inthe output property mention a string variable name
–then go to your project folder and check whether any excel file is created or not and for that go to project panel (beside activity panel) in your studio and click on open project folder.

i m not sure and i think it works in that way only
Cheers @jdabringer

Honestly have no idea what any of that meant lol. When I enter my excel location in the output I get an error. It says invalid L-value expression. And the second half of your message about the project pane I was lost too.

Fine
actually the thing is
–we need to use only this PDFTOEXCEL activity alone where in the property panel we need to mention the file path of pdf in PDF property
–where in the Tabular property
True - need tabular data along with text then set the Tabular value as true
False - need only the tabular data to excel then set as false
–no need to mention the output property with any variable of value

–once this is done we need make sure that we have installed this package PDF Focus.Net by SautinSoft, in the manage packages option in design tab

–then run this process, it will convert the pdf to excel and that excel can be found in the same folder where the pdf is there, with same name of pdf but with xlsx as extension

Cheers @jdabringer

1 Like

Yeah still no luck here. Any ideas?

1 Like