How to Disable Special Keys in Type Into Activity?

Hi everyone,

I’ve been searching everywhere, but I just can’t seem to figure out how to disable Special Keys in the Type Into activity in UiPath. As a newcomer to UiPath, I find it quite challenging.

The issue I’m facing is that I need to type text into applications using the Type Into activity, and sometimes the text contains Special Keys, as it comes from random variables. These Special Keys are causing errors, and I want to prevent them from being treated as special characters during the typing process.

Could someone kindly guide me on how to disable Special Keys in the Type Into activity? Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
Lusiiky

@Lusiiky
Welcome to the forum

we assume that with special key particular chars are meant

We would recommend to elaborate more on details / samples which chars are to handle.

About a [ kindly note that we would escape it by a second one [ → [[ and then we can handle it with a type into

1 Like

@Lusiiky

In UiPath, the Type Into activity allows you to disable the sending of special keys to the application. To prevent special keys from being treated as special characters during the typing process, you can set the SimulateType and SendWindowMessages properties of the Type Into activity to “True”. This will make the Type Into activity use hardware events to simulate typing, and special keys won’t be interpreted as special characters.

1 Like

@Lusiiky

In the Properties panel of the “Type Into” activity, click on the “SendWindowMessages” field to toggle it to True . This property allows UiPath to use Windows messages to simulate typing, which can help to avoid issues with special keys.

Classic

Modern

Hope it helps!!

1 Like

Hello,

I’m using Modern Mode, so I’ve set my Type Into’ Input mode to Windows Messages.

The problem is that this method seems rather slow, there is a site where it does not seem to write, then above all, despite that… it does not work… :
“Type Into ‘Var’: Special key syntax error. An invalid special key action has been encountered at text position: 10.”

Here’s the variable it’s supposed to Type Into: “ay#R94v{[v_8!6tC5r9wJ}3%FAW5Df”

Thank you,
Lusiiky

@Lusiiky

try giving the simulate for input mode instead of window messages.

I have tried and it worked for me

Regards

let’s clear some details. Which type of applications (Web, Desktop, SAP, JAVA,…)?

@ppr @vrdabberu
Thank you for your answers.

Here’s my exact problem: it’s to write in a form on a website on Chrome, and so I need to write this Variable in Value, then rewrite it in Confirm Value just below it.

As I’m still New User, I can’t post all the images at once…
So I’ll let you read my own answers below to read the rest.

The problem is actually quite bizarre, because the first Type Into works fine, but on the second Type Into, for Confirm Value, I get the error (“Type Into ‘Var’: Special key syntax error. An invalid special key action has been encountered at text position: 10.”)…
I’ve tried Windows Messages, Simulate, ChromeAPI…

Even though the properties are the same!
Here’s the first Type Into:

Here’s the second Type Into (Confirm Value):

I don’t understand…

Thanks,
Lusiiky

(End)

@Lusiiky

The password must be protected instead of “standard” enable “Secure”
The datatype of the password in “Secure String”

@Lusiiky

Try as below in a single type into activity. Indicate the first field and pass the syntax as below and remove the second type into.

Password + "[k(enter)]"+Password

Hope it works!!

I’ve tried everything… impossible.

Since it’s a password @rlgandu, I’ve tried using SecureStrings with a secure TypeInto, but the error remains…

And if I do your method @vrdabberu, I simply get the error at the first Value and not at Confirm Value (Simulate, ChromeAPI, Hardware or Windows Messages)…

Thanks,
Lusiiky

@Lusiiky

can we connect?

Regards

1 Like

@Lusiiky

Instead of “type into” use “Set text” activity

In the end, I didn’t have any other similar cases, but I didn’t really find a solution either…
Indeed, maybe “Set text” would have worked better, but there you go… I didn’t have another similar case so…
Thanks all the same :slight_smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.