Has the learning stopped?

We can still use XAML files to solve the topic. However, we should at least treat it as the last resort.
Giving XAML files have an upside and downside. Not all users are techies. Some find it hard to navigate to the Studio and some just don’t know how to structure their configuration.
I think the learning will not stop simply because of giving XAML files as solutions. Those users that use the XAML file will have a better understanding of how it works. So what will happen is they will not be having a hard time doing that configuration in the future. They will likely to have a rather complicated problems, issues or roadblocks the next time they will consult the community. Since that is the statement, the learning did not stop because there is PROGRESS :slight_smile:
Thanks!

4 Likes

Right. And it is also important to write the question carefully as sometimes questions are too general without any details to allow any reasonable advice. :frowning:

2 Likes

I agree, most of the time the questions are vague or incomplete. Time is spend in requesting the OP to explain the question in detail.

2 Likes

So question is can we do anything about this? @ovi @loginerror?

1 Like

We will address it :slight_smile: Stay tuned!
(it simply requires some time and proper planning)

6 Likes

@loginerror pointed me to this post a few days ago when I was writing my own about how Forum Moderation could help, and I share @VirajN’s frustration. Since I joined a couple of weeks ago, I can only address the present - but some users seem to be unwilling to learn, and even worse - think that they are entitled to a solution.

The following post can be seen as an archetype of the issue:

OP asks a question, that question is answered. Now he or she expects a finished solution over trying to get the issue sorted on their own.

2 Likes

@andrzej.kniola created an etiquette on How to ask a good question:

What we are trying to figure out is how to make it more visible.

For example, if we add this by default in every topic I assume it helps new members but how annoying will it be for regulars? - this is an example, I am sure there are other ways to make it visible.

We are in the research phase of Forum redesign (both in terms of design and functionality) but this cannot be implemented in a few days for example. The impact would be in multiple directions and we want to make sure we cover most of the best practices to help members and moderators/admins along without causing confusion (not saying there isn’t confusion right now :smile:).

This is more about respecting and appreciating that a fellow member voluntarily took the time to answer (even if it’s not a solution, but more of a guidance/starting point to achieve the so wanted solution).

4 Likes

Having good guidelines is one thing, making sure they are followed another. Stack Overflow allows members with a certain credibility to up- and down-vote questions (and answers), this definitely helps - but even this can be intimidating for new users.

It is hard to strike a balance, and we appreciate your efforts. Yet I think that we all can agree that this forum should be a place to learn and grow, and not a code writing service.

6 Likes

That is true!

4 Likes

Part of our responsibility as members of the community is to continuously guide new users along their learning path and remind them what our values are.

As @ovi mentioned, those values need to be visible enough from the start, but it is not possible to stay true to them without commitment of everyone.

In the case as above, a gentle nudge towards those values would be best. I’m personally against openly showing frustration as I find it simply counter productive.

In the end, our goal is to have a community that is lively and boils with engagement and passion. It’s the most genuine way to show newcomers what we stand for. If they chose to stay blind to it, their topics will simply stay unanswered.

2 Likes

You are making your points on uipath forum nothing else.
How can i merge some one else code into my module ? common sense
Rather than pretending to be good to others it is better to answer someone question rather than giving suggestion?
For learning prospective uipath documentation is far more enough but some time developers need a straight forward answer because of project deadline. this is not a professional approach to hit someone directly on the forum by saying do some work then come to us etc. the way you are replying on developer question literally i dnt want to post question on uipath again because of your behavior. is this the correcting way of learning than it is better for me to do it by myself by wasting much of my time on experiments rather than posting question and find the straight forward and correct solution that would save time.and One last thing everyone come to this forum for learning and solution.@redlynx82

1 Like

If someone comes with a question / doubt regarding anything on UiPath shouldn’t they also be able to tell what are the steps they have already performed to save everyone’s time?

How has @redlynx82 misbehaved here? He just shared his thoughts.

I firmly believe that “Your best teacher is your last mistake”. We should always try new things, fail & do mistakes. And finally once your have exhausted all your options then come to the forum to ask the question along with the steps that you have already performed. I am sure everyone will be more than happy to help you out.

Time is a precious commodity. My time is as precious as yours. If you are not willing to put time in solving your problems why should I spend my time?

5 Likes

I think that we should remove the count of solutions provided from the stats in the profile page of the user. Lot of people (including me at times) share the .xaml file instead of explaining how we solved a challenge just increase the count of solutions provided. Once this is taken away most of count seekers will shy away from giving xaml files and only the people who genuinely want to help will stay active.

Thoughts? @loginerror @ovi @redlynx82 @neonova @Jan_Brian_Despi @anil5 @nadim.warsi

3 Likes

Why does the count of solutions matter? I did not even know there is such a field and now, that I know, I will still ignore it…

2 Likes

I am not against providing xaml files sometimes as long as we guide them on how they will handle their issue/concern/problem. We should also explain how we derive/created that xaml file.
Based on my experience here in the forum, not all can easily understand the instructions we are providing. Some easily understand the solution to their problems by giving them samples(like xaml files).
The point here is we should not just give them the finished xaml file. We are here not just to help others but learn as well.
Learning process. This is the process that we should focus on. Helping others should not end after we gave them the solution. It’s way more than that. We can have mentees here without even knowing that we are mentors already.
One example here is that someone here in the forum offered to buy me coffee by sending me money through PayPal because right after I solved one of her issues, we still continued to talk about the current process he/she is currently working on. I am guiding her to the solution.
Well, going back to your question, as I become an active user here, I feel satisfaction and self-fulfillment when my number of solutions go up. But there is no problem with me whether it will be removed or not. :slight_smile:
P.S. Don’t bash/burn me because of this :rofl:

1 Like

I totally agree with you regarding the learning process. I regularly read your answers and I have learned so much from you. Most of the time I didn’t even need to open your xaml file because your answers were so detailed that I could understand the solution.

When I freshly started learning UiPath so many members helped me learn and they were very patient. They explained me the steps, pointed me to relevant documents and helped me learn.

I try to follow your methods in helping someone solve their doubts, but if someone DEMANDS a xaml file then it is a huge turn off for me.

1 Like

I see a lot of questions that are not related to UiPath… Like string manipulation, mostly. This should be in a subforum, if needed, or banned completely, in my opinion. People not having the vaguest idea about Visual Basic and refusing to search themselves for information on Google arrive here asking all their questions and demanding solutins…

2 Likes

I am from a non - technical background and I learned string manipulation here

just saying :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

I would like to read only what is related to UiPath, that’s why I was suggesting a subforum that I could choose to ignore as I have too many basic questions in my New feed :frowning:

1 Like

But how will a beginner like me identify if for example string manipulation should be in rookies or some other sub section? Wouldn’t this job be more suitable for moderators?