File not found exception when searching typesnot

Scenario: File not found exception when searching types

Steps to reproduce: Type a letter into the “Type Name” field of “Browse and Select a .Net Type”

Current Behavior: Throws exception

Expected Behavior: Should not throw exception

Studio/Robot/Orchestrator Version: 2016.2.6344

Last stable behavior: Never
Last stable version: None
OS Version: Windows 7 Professional Version 6.1 (Build 7601: Service Pack 1).
Others if Relevant: (workflow, logs, .net version, service pack, etc): 4.0.30319.42000

I’m receiving this error message, indicating something is not right on my system:

While the error message is clear, it is not clear to me what to do about it or where to look. Is this like a package I should be installing myself? Or there is some version conflict?

This error message was reported by somebody else before, but there was no solution offered in his thread:

can we have more details about this, what are you trying to do? this is not a common issue.

The exception occurs every time I try to search for a type. So the fastest way to reproduce it:

1. Create a blank project
  2. Add a sequence
  3. Create a variable
  4. Under “Variable Type” select “Browse for Types”
  5. Type a letter into the “Type Name” field of “Browse and Select a .Net Type”

That’s when the exception occurs.

i suspect a faulty installation, can you do a clean reinstall?

I just noticed that I was using a file UiPathStudio.exe (55.4 MB) for installation, while the link on the webpage (“If you do not receive our email at all you can download it here.”) points to UiPathStudio.msi (45.4 MB).

I uninstalled UiPath and reinstalled using the UiPathStudio.exe. The problem remains. I noticed that the executable does not ask for elevated privileges, so it gets installed in “AppData\Local\UiPath”.

I uninstalled UiPath and reinstalled again using UiPathStudio.msi. This one asks for elevated privileges so it can install in “C:\Program Files (x86)”. In this version the problem is gone.

So it’s obviously a bug in “UiPathStudio.exe” after trying to do a non-admin installation (I haven’t tested an admin installation). I would suggest fixing that or removing that file so users don’t download that version of “UiPathStudio.exe”.

what kind of user were you using, maybe that one had some restrictions causing the issue
.exe is the community edition, while .msi is enterprise (it will expire in 30 days)
this is not a known issue/bug/defect etc as i`ve already mentioned.

I always work as “Standard user” in Windows.

I didn’t realise those were two different versions. After installing the enterprise version, this bug has disappeared as well:

I think we found 2 bugs in the community edition (I’m also not the only one that described those problems). It could be a problem related with the installation process or, if the code base is different between community and enterprise, the code itself.

this one is a known issue

I get the exception also when running UiPath as admin (I also get the other error "Invalid L-value expression).

I think this is a bug in the community edition, which doesn’t work as expected on my system.

we know about this, its planned to be fixed in a future release.

Sorry, I am slightly confused. So I understand that the “Invalid L-value expression” is a known issue that will be fixed in a future release. What about my original “File not found exception”?

that is not a defect in our product, but an environment limitation from what i understand

I get the “File not found exception” even when running UiPath as admin. So this issue is not caused by the restrictions of my user account.

Even if this is not a defect in your product, if the community version doesn’t integrate correctly into the user environment, I think you still want to fix that (and somebody else ran into the same issue, so it’s not just my environment).

as long as this issue does not reproduce in our test environments, we consider it related to your environment. in order to investigate more, i need clean logs when running the installation from %LocalAppData%\SquirrelTemp

I ran and uninstaller and removed all relevant UiPath folders:
SquirrelSetup.zip (2.9 KB)

Upon the first start I get this error message:

That’s somehow odd, given that I removed all UiPath folders. It seems like the installation counts as a failed start of the application.

thats fine, just select reset from the dropdown menu.

Sure, that works. Maybe it’s just me, but I find it strange that a newly installed programme throws an error on first start…

Anyway, about the original error (File not found exception when searching types): anything unusual in the logs that would point to the cause for UiPath not playing nice with my environment?