Error when opening workbook

excel

UiPath throws error: “Unable to open workbook. Check if Excel is installed”. Excel is installed on the computer, and all UiPath Excel activities are installed in Studio. How is this solved?

Are the Excel File open? The Excel File must be closed to the activity works.

Regards :smiley:

Not necessarily.
If you’re using App Integration -> Excel -> Excel Application Scope it should work with Excel open. System -> File -> Workbook needs the file closed.

I think it’s a COM error and needs reinstalling Office.

Yes but if you indicate a workbook variable in App Integration -> Excel -> Excel Application Scope -> Output you can work with the same Excel file open.

@cec Are you using App Integration -> Excel -> Excel Application Scope to work with your Excel file ?

I was using the App Integration -> Excel -> Excel Application Scope activity, and the Excel file was not open :slight_smile:

Does it work with the Excel open?
I think it is a COM exception which I’ve seen only once. Please check the execution logs. Sometimes reinstalling Excel may help.

Hi,
I am facing the similar issue.
If excel application is already open, then Excel application scope is working fine or else robot keeps on running.
When i tried to kill excel process. it is killed, but uipath is throwing an exception “Access is denied”.
I think this is because of some windows MS office patches. can we have solution for this.

Hi All,

I’m working on a MacBook with Parallels Desktop. I have office 365 installed for MAC. I get the following error : "Error openning workbook. Make sure Excel is installed"
Do I need to change something in the reg. Retrieving the COM class factory for component with CLSID {00024500-0000-0000-C000-000000000046} failed due to the following error: 80040154 Class not registered (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80040154 (REGDB_E_CLASSNOTREG)).

Or should I download the UiPath.Excel.Activities 2.0.6526.16321 ?
After download, how do I install it?

Looking forward for your advice,

Many thanks in advanced

I found the solution by installing the Excel into the Window environment. Thanks

Sometimes internal COM calls to excel fails. Repairing the excel installation solved the problem.

first open in safe mode
excel /safe then all the files works better

Try reinstalling the MS office or else disable the COM add-ins. In many cases the COM add-ins causes various errors to try disabling them and after that check if this help you to fix the issue.

Or try repairing the Excel application with the automatic utility: http://www.repairmsexcel.com/download-excel-repair.php

Reinstallation/Repair office or Removing Excel COM Add-ins didn’t work. Still getting below error

Binary has thrown an exception

Source: Excel application scope

Message: Error opening workbook. Make sure Excel is installed.

Exception Type: Exception

System.Exception: Error opening workbook. Make sure Excel is installed. —> System.InvalidCastException: Unable to cast COM object of type ‘Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel.ApplicationClass’ to interface type ‘Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel._Application’. This operation failed because the QueryInterface call on the COM component for the interface with IID ‘{000208D5-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}’ failed due to the following error: Error loading type library/DLL. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80029C4A (TYPE_E_CANTLOADLIBRARY)).
at System.StubHelpers.StubHelpers.GetCOMIPFromRCW(Object objSrc, IntPtr pCPCMD, IntPtr& ppTarget, Boolean& pfNeedsRelease)
at Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel.ApplicationClass.set_SheetsInNewWorkbook(Int32 RHS)
at UiPath.Excel.WorkbookApplication…ctor(String workbookPath, String password, Boolean visible, Boolean autoSave, Boolean createNew, String editPassword)
— End of inner exception stack trace —
at UiPath.Excel.WorkbookApplication…ctor(String workbookPath, String password, Boolean visible, Boolean autoSave, Boolean createNew, String editPassword)
at UiPath.Excel.Activities.ExcelApplicationScope.Execute(NativeActivityContext context)
at System.Activities.NativeActivity.InternalExecute(ActivityInstance instance, ActivityExecutor executor, BookmarkManager bookmarkManager)
at System.Activities.ActivityInstance.Execute(ActivityExecutor executor, BookmarkManager bookmarkManager)
at System.Activities.Runtime.ActivityExecutor.ExecuteActivityWorkItem.ExecuteBody(ActivityExecutor executor, BookmarkManager bookmarkManager, Location resultLocation)