Error: Self signed certificate in certificate chain occurs while testing the chatbot under office network

Hi sir @qbrandon,

My team have created a chatbot with the template of “Chatbot with Dialogflow”. It works fine in the local environment-- when connected with home or office WIFI. However, after we transferred the same setup to the PC under office network, the node.js component had an error when we opened up the chatbot (screenshot attached).

Additionally, I would like to clarify what does the line “[DEBUG] orchestrator-undefined” means in the attached screenshot.
Thanks in advance!

Best,
Wu Qi

Could you share the non-sensitive content of your config/default.json or whatever config file you are using?
Also, can you validate that the machine has direct network access to both Orchestrator and Dialogflow?

Hi sir,

For the default.json file, please take a look at the screenshot attached.

May I ask what do u mean by direct access? We have enabled Orchestrator access with IIS, but not for DialogFlow(We tried for DialogFlow but failed).

Best,
Wu Qi

OK, so you are using a Cloud Orchestrator instance.
Here are a few things to try out:

1. inside package.json, replace the version of “UiPath-orchestrator” from “^1.1.0” to “*” to get the latest (then delete node_modules and re-run npm install)
  2. in your default.json’s “orchestrator” member, add the property “invalidCertificate”: true
  3. in your default.json’s “orchestrator” member, add the property “hostname”: “cloud.uipath.com

May I ask what do u mean by direct access?

I mean do you use a proxy for internet access?

We have enabled Orchestrator access with IIS, but not for DialogFlow(We tried for DialogFlow but failed).

If you are using Cloud Orchestrator, how does IIS have anything to do with it?

I would like to clarify what does the line “[DEBUG] orchestrator-undefined” means in the attached screenshot.

I have double checked the code, but could not find a logger call in the orchestrator.js file corresponding to that line. Are you sure it isn’t something someone from your team added to help with the troubleshooting?

Hi sir,

Thanks a lot for the detailed explanation to my questions. I am a new member in my team, sorry for some confusing points that I have raised.

I have checked with my team, we do not have proxy internet access for Orchestrator and DialogFlow. We use cloud Orchestrator for testing purpose and finally, we will use an enterprise version and make our own server as we want the chatbot application to be only available within the company. Thus, we put Orchestrator under IIS and have made certificates, so that our office laptops have access to Orchestrator.

Now the problem is that we found “Error: Self-signed certificate in certificate chain” with node.js under our office network environment.Could you please give some suggestions about it? Thank you very much!

Best,
Wu Qi

In that case, the default.json configuration will need to connect to the local Orchestrator instance with something similar to this:

"orchestrator": {
        "host": "orchestrator.domain.com", // whatever hostname for the Orchestrator instance
    	"usernameOrEmailAddress": "bob",   // the username to use to log into Orchestrator
    	"password": "XXXXX",
    	"invalidCertificate": true
    }

Hi sir,

Thanks for your reply. I will try it once I am back to office.

Best,
Wu Qi

Hi sir,

After changing the configuration from cloud Orchestrator to local Orchestrator instance, we got a new error.

We are not sure why the error is pointing to port 443.

Best,
Wu Qi

Sorry, I made a mistake in the sample config, it is “hostname” not “host”

Thank you sir. It solved the current error. Thanks a lot!