Connecting high density robots to two tenants on the same on prem orchestrator

I have on prem orchestrator with 2 tenants - Dev and Test. I have another server (Robot Server)with 5 user accounts (users 1 thru 5) to serve as robots in the high density robot model.

I have defined MachineTemplate for Robot Server in both Dev and Test tenant. I have also configured 3 robot users on Dev tenant (User 1, 2 and 3)and 2 robot users in Test Tenant (User 4 and 5).

The machine key for the Robot Server Machine template is obviously different in two tenants. My issue is that all five user accounts use the same machine key. So User 1, 2 and 3 are connected to Dev Tenant and user 4 and 5 show as no robot on Test Tenant… If I change machine key on user 5 to Test Tenant Machine key, it changes the machine key for all 5 users. then User 4 and 5 show as connected in Test enant but user 1, 2 ,3 shw as disconnected on Dev Tenant

So I can only use one tenant at a time. Is there a way for me to use it so User 1, 2, 3 use one machine key and user 4, 5 use another machine key to connect to respective tenants on Orchestrator

Hey @myadav

I’m actually not understanding here sorry.

You have two tenants and it should have two machine templates with two different keys ?

Thanks
#nK

I have a machine template on Dev Tenant and a machine Template on Test Tenant. Both the templates, depict the same physical machine (Its a Windows Server with 5 users. 3 users are for Dev Tenant and 2 for test Tenant)

Currently my Dev Tenant works. If I login as one of the users, I can see the assistant is connected to Dev Tenant via the Machine Key on the machine template on Dev Tenant. The Test Tenant shows as no Robots. If I login to one of the users meant for Test Tenant and change the machine key in assisstant to the machine key on Test Tenant, then all 5 robots connect to test Tenant and Dev Tenant shows disconnected.

So either Dev tenant or Test Tenant can work at any given time. What I want to do is that three users use the machine key for Dev Tenant and 2 users use the machine key for test tenant.

Hey @myadav

Of course the machine template key will be different for the test tenant.

Did you install the robot for user or the local machine itself ?

Thanks
#nK

the robot is in service mode. Not in user mode

Hey @myadav

No I’m not asking about the installation mode.

Let’s say you have a machine with 4users in it.

There are two ways you can install an application,

1. One a common installation for the entire machine which reflects the app for all users with one single installation.

2. Whereas, you can also install the applications at user level - 4 times for 4 users separately so that you can connect your robot with different or same machine keys specifically for each user

Hope you are getting this and it may help.

Thanks
#nK

I asked UIPath via support ticket and here is the response.

In the service mode(common installation), all robots will talk to one Orchestrator. In the user mode (install per user, the robots can be configured to talk to different Orchestrator. But it comes with a downside. For Unattended robots, the user mode will only work if the robot account is logged in to the computer. If its not logged in, Orchestrator wont be able to run a job using that robot.

1 Like

Cool @myadav Thanks for sharing the solution which helps the community.

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.