Config file in REFramework

Hello.

I’m looking at the REFramework and I see the config file is in Excel format. Firstly, a dictionary <string,object> is created. Then it reads data from the Excel file and adds it to the dictionary. But what is the best further use of the dictionary? I would like to create variables with corresponding names, but I can only do it manually, am I right?

And one more thing. If I have an integer as a value in the config file, it’s being passed to the dictionary as a string. Should I always manually convert it back to Integer or there are ways to directly extract it as a number?

this is only my opinion.

you can use a dictionary for Queue name, error name, messages and anything else for mapping data.

all of your thoughts are correct.

The main benefit of creating the config file is that you can manage all your variables, inputs, queue names, messages from a centralized location. In case of large projects its not feseable to search through whole project for making any change. So it’s better to keep all the inputs in a seperate config file.

1 Like

@irahmat, @RupeshGonte Thank you for your reply. I understand the purpose of creating a config file. My question is how can I optimize the use of it? Just imagine, I have 25 variables stored in an Excel config. I have to create 25 variables manually, am I right? There are no ways to create it automatically with appropriate names, aren’t there? Just wonder because it might be very useful.

Agree. There is no such way we can create the variables at the run time by fetching the excel or any other source. However you can create a dictionary variable, where you can import all your variables and their values from excel or any other data source. And then access the variables from the dictionary.

Like what @RupeshGonte said.

@RupeshGonte, @irahmat, Yeah thank you for your replies.

Hello There,

I have a doubt in Config argument used in ReFramework that is declared as Dictionary type as per below
dictionary <string,object>. I want to understand why value is defined as object in this case? Can someone please help

@nehalakhani

The Dictionary is set up to be able to handle all values in the config file. The object you’re questioning is more flexible than string and can handle integers as well.

A note to remember - every string is an object, but not every object is a string.

After all of the strings and objects have been put into a dictionary, you will be able to have more flexibility transforming into the correct data type. For reference - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/visual-basic/language-reference/data-types/

Many Thanks Brad!

1 Like