UiPath Assistant for macOS

Hello, Community!

Following our announcement in December, (UiPath Community 2021.12 Preview Release), we are very excited to share with you the new version of Assistant that can now be run on macOS.

What is it?

We continuously work on providing a better automation experience to everyone and helping people to delegate repetitive and lower-value tasks to robots across all platforms. Now you will be able to enjoy our UiPath Assistant capabilities on your macOS devices.

How can I get started?

The Assistant for macOS can be downloaded from Cloud Resource Center, and it is compatible with MacOS version 10.13 (High Sierra) and newer.

To install UiPath Assistant and Robot on MacOS, you need to use one of the .dmg files that are available in the Center (depending on your CPU architecture you can use the x64 or the ARM64 version).

The installation process is the following:

• Double click the DMG file to make its content available and a window will open showing the content
  • Drag the application from the DMG window into the Applications directory to install it
  • Wait for the copy process to finish

install

What processes can I run?

UiPath Assistant for macOS will allow you to run attended cross-platform automations. RPA developers will use UiPath Studio in Windows to create cross-platform projects and publish them to Orchestrator.

cross

When designing a process for macOS in Studio, the testing is done using Remote Debugging and connecting to the specific macOS machine.

Regarding activity packages available for cross-platform, currently our teams are working on adding new capabilities and in the next releases you will be able to use more of them.

The table below presents all the Official UiPath packages for cross-platform projects that are available for the moment:

Activity Package
UiPath.System.Activities
UiPath.WebAPI.Activities
UiPath.AmazonWorkSpaces.Activities
UiPath.AmazonWebServices.Activities
UiPath.Azure.Activities
UiPath.AzureWindowsVirtualDesktop.Activities
UiPath.AzureActiveDirectory.Activities
UiPath.GoogleCloud.Activities
UiPath.Citrix.Activities
UiPath.UIAutomation.Activities (Modern design)
UiPath.Mail.Activities
UiPath.Excel.Activities
UiPath.Word.Activities
UiPath.Presentations.Activities
UiPath.Testing.Activities
UiPath.OCR.Activities
UiPath.GSuite.Activities
UiPath.Cryptography.Activities
UiPath.Database.Activities
UiPath.FTP.Activities
UiPath.Java.Activities
UiPath.Python.Activities
UiPath.DocumentUnderstanding.ML.Activities
UiPath.MicrosoftOffice365.Activities
UiPath.OCR.Contracts
UiPath.DocumentProcessing.Contracts

As an example, you can run Chrome browser automations and for this one, we added a new functionality in Assistant on macOS – the installation of Chrome extension. Keep in mind that after you install the extension you must enable it from the browser.

Any UiPath based automations involving web applications rendering properly in Chrome, can now be executed cross-platform.

Firstly, you need to build a Cross-Platform project. You can execute the Chrome browser automation on Windows operating system, on Linux Docker containers, and on macOS via UiPath Assistant.

Also, you can run processes that are using Integrations Service activities, so for example you can automate tasks related to your emails.

You can discover all the activities available for cross-platform by checking into “Manage packages” menu in Studio.

manage

Can I use widgets?

The Marketplace widget is available also for macOS, but you will see only cross-platform ready-to-go automations.

The Automation Store widget is available too, but you have to make sure that you deploy cross-platform automations in your Automation Store.

The Apps widget is not available for the moment, but it will be ready as soon as the Robot.js will work on macOS.

The widgets governance is the same as on Windows – it can be done using Automation Ops.

Also, you can create custom widgets and use them from Assistant.

Limitations

Currently, a couple of features from Assistant on Windows are not available on Mac, but we will work on them in the future:

• Sending Processes to desktop and display shortcuts in Start Menu
  • Robot.js
  • Documenting a task (Launch Task Capture)
  • Apps widget

Picture-in-Picture will not be available on macOS due to technology constraints.

For more details about Assistant for macOS, please check our documentation: UiPath Assistant on Mac

17 Likes

Superb @ElenaBuchir

2 Likes

This is awesome! Bringing UiPath to all users regardless of platform. Not that I need this feature, but will it possible to run unattended automations on macOS?

1 Like

You should be able to as long as you can host linux based containers on macOS. You can run linux based container as unattended robot. Here is more information on robots on containers. I hope this helps.

1 Like

Thanks for the response, @Sali! I think that makes sense, but wouldn’t the unattended bot still be running in linux in that case? Because the bot is basically running in a VM on macOS? But still good to know!

1 Like

@ElenaBuchir , Amazing news :slight_smile: Speedily no OS is left behind to be mastered.:rocket:

1 Like

No VM needed!

It will run natively under macOS, on both Intel and Apple Silicon Macs.

This is a great capability for UiPath. I am very new to all things UiPath, and hope I am posting this in the right place. I am trying to see how to create an automation that can run on a Mac - Attended. Has anyone enabled the remote debugging on macOS Monterey using Terminal? My org has the Automation Cloud version of UiPath, and I’m running Studio 202I.10.5 on my Windows 10 Enterprise VM. I am trying to set up the Remote Debugging from Studio to my Mac laptop to try creating a process and publishing it to the Mac to run in Assistant. I followed the steps listed in the documentation but feel like I am missing something because there is no such .dll file in the application directories that I can find. Maybe I am trying to do a step on the wrong machine. Attached are 2 screenshots of Finder showing filepaths for the Application, the dotnet file/directory within it, and also for the somewhat-similar-in-name “RemoteDebugging” file that is not a dll but a .pdb file. Thank you in advance!

RemoteDebuggingAgentonMacOS12|690x403
Uploading: RemoteDebugging_dotnet_dll_onMacOS12.png…

Is it possible, with the community licence, to download the DMG file ?
I searched on platform.uipath.com (redirected to cloud.uipath.com) and only found the MSI download file :confused:
thx

Hello,

The download URLs were added on cloud.uipath.com, in Resource Center.

Thanks,
Elena

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.