Standalone Orchestrator install vs. Automation suite install

Hello,
I am preparing to perform my first orchestrator installation and configuration.
I was given a ppt presentation from the management level about what needs to be done. In the ppt document, they mainly indicated “Automation Suite” installation, instead of Orchestrator installation. What is the difference between the two. When is one preferred over the other?
I read about it Automation Suite, which includes Orchestrator, but the overview says
Automation Suite enables you to deploy the full UiPath automation platform in a Linux environment ranging from bare metal machines to on-premises Virtual Machine infrastructure, or cloud subscriptions to any of the major providers.
This statement sounds like if you’re performing the installation in a linux environment, which I am not. That’s my confusion.
I will be installing Automation Suite on AWS windows 2016 server.
Can I move forward with Automation Suite installation on windows 2016 server?
Has anyone performed such installation before?

Thanks.

Automation Suite is an [mostly] all-in-one solution that runs on Linux using Kubernetes among other things. It’s built to keep thing simple and managed/bundled for the products included in the suite.

It also helps you deploy to private cloud infrastructure like AWS, Azure, GCP as well as non-cloud based infrastructure.

If you are unfamiliar with Linux or Kubernetes, you may want to go with a standalone product installations, however before you do I would suggest you reach out to UiPath Technical Support team to go into more details of the Pros and Cons to each option.

For example and this might be irrelevant as I’m not sure if it is include with the Suite, is Computer Vision - Currently they have both a Linux and Windows distribution however the Windows version is lagging behind and if not already will be deprecated in favor of the Docker approach which is already used for Linux will apply to Windows going forward under Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL).

We’ve been using the stand-alone since 2018, but only make use of Orchestrator & Computer Vision along with a handful of VM setup with RDS for the Robots. Initially we rolled out own Cloud Formation for AWS and perhaps if Automation Suite has a thing back then, we would have given it a whirl.

Of note, Windows Server 2016 ended Mainstream Support in Jan of 2022, if you are setting up a new VM for this might consider 2019 (Not sure if 2022 is officially supported yet.)

You just mentioned an important point about Windows Server 2016. My Company just created two Windows Server 2016 EC2 instances. One for Orchestrator and the other for unattended bot client. Instantlly, I cannot get SQL server 2019 (developer edition) installed. I have spent 6 hours trying to install sql server 2019 and it is getting stuck at the moment run the installer. Do you think this may have to do with Windows server 2016 ending support?

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.