Special key syntax error

Hello,

I was running a process earlier that was throwing the exception message:

I worked out that the string in a type into was throwing the error. The string contained square braces “[” and “]” around a number, like so: “William Coulson [0123]”. The type into picked it up as a special key, like Enter or Tab. I resolved this by running in debug and changing the value in the locals panel.

Is there any way of preventing this issue without replacing the data? I was thinking of setting SimulateType to true, but I am not sure how the bot would react. Does anybody know if setting SimulateType to true prevents the error message from coming up? Or have another solution?

Thanks in advance :smiley:

@william.coulson

Check as below

"William Coulson" + Chr(91) +"0123" + Chr(93)

Hope this may help you

Thanks

2 Likes

Hi @Srini84,

Unfortunately the text is scraped off a form that the client sends us, and the data is pretty inconsistent, so the data may contain square braces, it may not. Ideally, I need to be able to prevent an error message coming up due to the square braces or any other special key symbol without replacing any of the data being written.

@william.coulson

I’m able to write without any problem, could you check the TypeInto Properties again?

Can you share your version and properties of the TypeInto?

Thanks

@william.coulson

Also, you can try with Set Text activity also

Hope this may help you

Thanks

Hi @Srini84,

The type into has EmptyField, SimulateType, SendWindowsMessages all set to false. Activate is set to true. Did you try with SimulateType enabled?

@william.coulson

I don’t know about the application you are working, but I’m able to type into a google text field without any issue

Can you check in Google search text box? and let us know if you are facing the same issue

Thanks

Hi @Srini84,

It works with SimulateType enabled, and doesn’t when it’s disabled. Also doesn’t work with SendWindowsMessages enabled or disabled and SimulateType disabled. Strange

1 Like

Hi,

Can you try to escape the character as the following?

[[0123]

We can easily add [ character using regex etc.

Regards,

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.