Running background process

I’m trying to let a Robot running a background process that I start from the Orchestrator. I used the ‘Background Process’-template to make my process, but it failed when I start it from the orchestrator. I get the error ‘message: Invoke Proces workflow: The user name or password is incorrect.’ in the log and in the Job details do I get ‘RemoteException wrapping System.IO.IOException: The user name or password is incorrect.’. When I change the project settings to background process to no, the proces is working fine. That mean that something must be going wrong in the background process.

After trying different things, I found out that one of the problems is that I check if a file exist. If I use ‘Directory.GetFiles(Location, File)’ it will give this problem. If I comment that out and only let it write a log, invoke a proces en send a mail, it will work fine.

How do I get ‘Directory.Getfiles’ working? Can I add somewhere the user name of password? Or can I somehow use the credentials from the user that is running the proces? Or can someone give me a list of activities that I can’t use in a background process?

I build the proces in studio 2019.10.4 and let it run on a unattended and a development robot (with the same results).

2 Likes

@Remco

background processes must not contain activities that require user interaction.

But checking if a file exist isn’t an activitie that require user interaction or is it?

@Remco

File Exists activity should work in Background process as it doesn’t require any user interaction.

But that is the problem, it isn’t working.

When I run my background process without searching for files, everything is working fine. When I add the following assign to the process, I get the errors in the Orchestrator
'Files = Directory.GetFiles(Location, FilesIamLookingFor)

When I change the settings for the background process to no it is working fine

@Remco

May I know what error are you getting here ?

Hi @Remco

Does the bot have access to read those files or to access that directory? Mag be that us causing the error… I do have a background process with the same command and it works fine for me…

Can you check whether the current windows login has access to that folder?

Hi,

I made 2 new process, one background process and one standard process (I couldn’t add them to the forum because I’m new, so I hosted it on Wetransfer). I found out that when I access a local drive it is working fine in both situations. When I try to access the NFS drive, it is only working in the standard process. The background process gives me the following error:

• Process: BackgroundProcess
  • Environment: Audax
  • Robot: Development1
  • Machine name: RPA-STU01
  • Info: The user name or password is incorrect.

RemoteException wrapping System.IO.IOException: The user name or password is incorrect.

at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
at System.IO.FileSystemEnumerableIterator1.CommonInit() at System.IO.FileSystemEnumerableIterator1…ctor(String path, String originalUserPath, String searchPattern, SearchOption searchOption, SearchResultHandler1 resultHandler, Boolean checkHost) at System.IO.Directory.GetFiles(String path, String searchPattern) at lambda_method(Closure , ActivityContext ) at Microsoft.VisualBasic.Activities.VisualBasicValue1.Execute(CodeActivityContext context)
at System.Activities.CodeActivity1.InternalExecuteInResolutionContext(CodeActivityContext context) at System.Activities.Runtime.ActivityExecutor.ExecuteInResolutionContext[T](ActivityInstance parentInstance, Activity1 expressionActivity)
at System.Activities.InArgument1.TryPopulateValue(LocationEnvironment targetEnvironment, ActivityInstance activityInstance, ActivityExecutor executor) at System.Activities.RuntimeArgument.TryPopulateValue(LocationEnvironment targetEnvironment, ActivityInstance targetActivityInstance, ActivityExecutor executor, Object argumentValueOverride, Location resultLocation, Boolean skipFastPath) at System.Activities.ActivityInstance.InternalTryPopulateArgumentValueOrScheduleExpression(RuntimeArgument argument, Int32 nextArgumentIndex, ActivityExecutor executor, IDictionary2 argumentValueOverrides, Location resultLocation, Boolean isDynamicUpdate)
at System.Activities.ActivityInstance.ResolveArguments(ActivityExecutor executor, IDictionary`2 argumentValueOverrides, Location resultLocation, Int32 startIndex)
at System.Activities.Runtime.ActivityExecutor.ExecuteActivityWorkItem.ExecuteBody(ActivityExecutor executor, BookmarkManager bookmarkManager, Location resultLocation)

• Start Time: 02/28/2020 9:17:58 AM
  • End Time: 02/28/2020 9:18:02 AM
  • Input Values: null

Output Values: Empty

• Has Recording: false

Is it possible that the background process is running under a different user? The other user won’t have access to the NFS and then the error is explainable. If that is the case, how can I find out which user Uipath is using?

I have changed the process so that it print the UserDomainName and the UserName. Both processes give me back the same results (UserDomainName: RPA-STU01 UserName: Administrator).

Can I test something else?

Hi Remco,

There is a possibility you changed robot credentials and you did not update in the Orchestrator. In your Orchestrator go to Robots the select the robot your using (Development1) and update credentials.