RPA Starter Training- Personal Number Reader - Part 3

I’m new to RPA as well as Ui Path. I was following every instruction specified by the Academy.

However, while running the program, I did not get the desired output and got the “Exception Thrown[Assign]” message.

I double-checked each step again to verify what I did is right or not. Is something I need to check more

Kindly help me

2 Likes

What exactly the error @jijuoommen

cheers :smiley:

Happy learning :smiley:

2 Likes

@jijuoommen
Welcome to our community
can you share what exception is there?

2 Likes

Thanks, @pattyricarte for your reply

https://cdn2.dcbstatic.com/dcd/scormapi_v60/launcher_full.html?host=academy.uipath.com&id_user=346984&id_reference=6042&scorm_version=1.3&id_resource=55&id_item=55&idscorm_organization=55&id_package=55&launch_type=fullscreen&id_course=638&player=hydra&autoplay_enabled=0&name=rpa-starter-training&return_url=academy.uipath.com&as_json=1&auth_code=a230943213cf8409130d9c4ab31d57b2a7a1ea53

If you check the above link, you are supposed to see a message box:
“We have just sent you a yellow hoodie”.

However, when I tried it, it showing nothing… You can see the image shared in the topic. That is the result I got.

2 Likes

Thank you @sandeep13

I got the following error. As I am new to this, I don’t have any idea where to check more details.

2 Likes

@jijuoommen
see left side of panel(locals panel) you can check there what exception is there

2 Likes

@jijuoommen

I think you are using substring with a null values your PN Variables is null so that it thrown error.Kindly check.

4 Likes

Thank you @sandeep13

Please see the following…

RemoteException wrapping System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at lambda_method(Closure ,
ActivityContext )
at Microsoft.VisualBasic.Activities.VisualBasicValue1.Execute(CodeActivityContext context) at System.Activities.CodeActivity1.InternalExecuteInResolutionContext(CodeActivityContext context)
at System.Activities.Runtime.ActivityExecutor.ExecuteInResolutionContext[T](ActivityInstance parentInstance,
Activity1 expressionActivity) at System.Activities.InArgument1.TryPopulateValue(LocationEnvironment targetEnvironment,
ActivityInstance activityInstance,
ActivityExecutor executor)
at System.Activities.RuntimeArgument.TryPopulateValue(LocationEnvironment targetEnvironment,
ActivityInstance targetActivityInstance,
ActivityExecutor executor,
Object argumentValueOverride,
Location resultLocation,
Boolean skipFastPath)
at System.Activities.ActivityInstance.InternalTryPopulateArgumentValueOrScheduleExpression(RuntimeArgument argument,
Int32 nextArgumentIndex,
ActivityExecutor executor,
IDictionary2 argumentValueOverrides, Location resultLocation, Boolean isDynamicUpdate) at System.Activities.ActivityInstance.ResolveArguments(ActivityExecutor executor, IDictionary2 argumentValueOverrides,
Location resultLocation,
Int32 startIndex)
at System.Activities.Runtime.ActivityExecutor.ExecuteActivityWorkItem.ExecuteBody(ActivityExecutor executor,
BookmarkManager bookmarkManager,
Location resultLocation)

“Name”: “Assign”,
“Id”: “1.9”,
“InstanceId”: “5”,
“TypeName”: “System.Activities.Statements.Assign”

1 Like

@jijuoommen

@pattyricarte is right.you are using substring with a null values your PN Variables is null so that it thrown error.

3 Likes

Thank you @pattyricarte

In the tutorial, there is no mention of this.

Yes. I am using a substring. How to correct this (for me as a beginner)?

Before Using Sunstring make sure PN variable has value.
you can either using message box activity or Writeline activity to show the value of Pn Variable

Note: Writeline activity show in Output panel

3 Likes

@jijuoommen
Check first if your variable has a value on it before using the substring .

6 Likes

Thanks @sandeep13
This was the solution given in the tutorial.

If I need to put value, what value should I use in the field initially, please guide me.

I assigned 0 as inital value and this is working…

Thanks to @pattyricarte and @sandeep13

1 Like

@jijuoommen

No worries happy to help :smiley:

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.