Is Orchestrator license tenant specific?

Hi,

we are working on developing a hosting solution for customers. Our goal is to have one ORCH to run different tenants and their robots. Every tenant logs in as their own administrator and can thus manager their own licenses for un/attended/Free robots. We just provide the infrastructure and the ORCH.
We figured that we will need an ORCH license and let the customers to buy and manage their own licenses through the Settings at their own leisure. This works great.

After upgrading to 2017.1 SP1 (in-place install, old version 2017.1) we find that the ORCH license does not pass through to the tenants anymore. Each tenant shows that the license is expired and thus no robots can be scheduled to run. We updated the license for what we believed to be our top site (not the default host as it turns out), but the rest of the customers are still expired.

Does the new version of ORCH require a license for each tenant? Or have we missed something during the installation?

By the way, we have disabled Multitenancy in web-config. We expose the websites directly to our customers and don’t want them to click “become a tenant” - that’s our job to create it for them. I hope this is not related to our issue.

Regards
/Klaus

1 Like

@andraciorici

Hi even I face the same.
Same license doesn’t work for another tenant. It says License already used by another tenant.
Kindly suggest.

Regards
Santosh

I contacted the Help Desk and got a confirmation that indeed licenses are issued and uploaded per tenant.
This means you cannot put 20 licenses in the Default Host and distribute them from there to your customers.
So as a hosting company you must login to every tenant and upload a spate license file in Settings | License.
The HelpDesk was kind enough to suggest that they could distribute the licenses you have obtained among your customers four you. As a host I’d like to do that my self, thank you very much.

To separate thing, I plan to get each tenant his own, unique email address before ordering more licenses. Hopefully I can then link the licenses directly to the tenant.

However, since the uploading involves that you REGUTIL your key + email to the ORCH to create the license file, how can I differentiate between tenant1 tenant2 etc.? The Device ID is the same for all of them (at least when I try to read it using REGUTIL GET-INFO). I also get the error that the license is in use by another tenant.

Regards
/Klaus

@santhosh.sanu95 @KlausA Yes, licensing is per tenant. For the time being, the only way you can distribute your licenses across tenants is with our help, but we plan on creating a dedicated service where you will be able to do this yourself. This will come most probably in 2019.
Please let us know what features, beside being able to manage your licenses, would you expect to see from such a service

Luckily, this problem has gone away with 2018.1.1. :smiley::smiley::smiley:
Thanx, UiPath!

2 Likes

Hi Klaus,

How did you solve it without the support team’s help? Have you upgraded your Orchestrator to 18.1.1?

Came to know that 20181.1 Robot licenses can be moved between tenants without reaching out to UiPath. Correct me if there are any clauses in this.

There is a plan for that, but not in 2018.1. That’s what I was trying to find out.

Hi Ovi,
I think I may have poted to the wrong thread. I am sorry for that,

I thought I was posting to the thread that deals with multiple users per robot (e.g. three accounts on one pc) - which in 2016 consumed one license, in 2017 consumed three licenses and now in 2018 again consumes one license. This is great!

However, I’m afraid that using the default host to manage tenants is still limited to only creating new tenants. The issue with the licenses is still in effect in 2018.1.1.

We dealt with the current issue by getting a unique Key per tenant and then have UiPath move X licenses from our subscription to the tenants. This is done by contacting UiPAth administration which are very hekpful and can do this within 24 hours. Thanx , guys.

By the way, you still have to re-issue the license file for each implicated tenant (and your self) using RegUtil [TenantKey] [TenantEmail] and manually uploading the license file to the tenant’s admin settings. I hope the 2019 version will solve this.

Best regards
/Klaus

3 Likes

Thanks for clearing this out. Indeed, some of the licensing issues were solved, others are in progress in the future relases.

Hi @andraciorici and @ovi

Still the same rule is following or do we any changes and trial also…

Regards
Balamurugan.S