How do Unique References Work vs Queue Item Statuses

Hey,

Looking for clarity on a scenario where:

• I have a queue with 2k Queue Items In

Max Retries is [ON] set to 3
Unique Reference is [ON] to ensure each unique case is only worked once.
Queue item data has scope to change day-to-day so we need to load fresh queue items everyday.
There is a potential for a high volume of cases to get loaded in some days which can’t all be worked in the same day due to limited licensing and therefore will need to be re-loaded the next.

• Day 1 Start - I work some items

1k / 2k worked
10 encountered Application Exceptions and are retried

Q1.A. When these Queue Items are Retried, am i correct in saying the “New” Queue item is added to the end of the queue? so if I had 2k items and only worked 1k, any that have failed, wouldn’t have been retried yet?

Q1.B. The queue in Orchestrator at this point would have 2 queue items for each of the 10 Application Exceptions, 1 with a status of “New” and 1 with a status of “Retried” is that right? so Unique Reference doesn’t impact this scenario - or doesn’t check New Items Against the “Retried” Status?

• Day 1 End - I want to report on my outcomes and clear the queue for the day, so a fresh load can take place on day 2.

Q2. To Start i would expect to delete all “New” Items in the queue, so any unworked can be Re-Loaded on Day 2. Do i need to also delete any Queue items with a status of “Retried” that still have a “New” status queue item in the queue? (so they haven’t been worked to a final Success/AE Outcome)

@Jamie_Davies

Yes new queue items are added at the end true…But if there is a priority set as high for any of those failed items then even if they are added at end because the priority is high they can be picked up earlier than the other items.If no priority is set then yes they are added at end of the 2k items as New

Yes so for retried the queue would add the items again…unique reference does not impact this retry scenario

Here I am not sure why you want to delete though…you can set a end after time…after which even if there are items the bot will end execution for the day and will start as per trigger on the following day.So even if items are left in New state they will be picked up the following day

If you still want to delete and reload you can do as well…And it would be better to delete the retried as well…so that no reference issue would come…As with retried items there is one more change like the internal retry number would change but if you delete and add a new item then the retry number ideally would be reset…So it is better to avoid conflict and delete the retried as well if you want to delete or clear the queue and reload

Hope this helps

cheers

Hi @Jamie_Davies ,

Thanks for reaching out to Community.

Well answer to your quesions can be seen here,

Q1A. Yes, when a Queue Item is retried due to a failure, a new instance of the item is added to the end of the queue, which means that any items that have not been retried yet will still be ahead of the retry items in the queue.

Q1B. That is correct. The Unique Reference feature ensures that a given reference can only appear once in the queue, regardless of its status. Therefore, in this scenario, each failed item will have a unique reference, and both the “New” and “Retried” instances will be in the queue.

Q2. Yes, you should delete all “New” items from the queue to ensure that only fresh queue items are loaded on Day 2. Additionally, any “Retried” items that still have a “New” status should also be deleted because they have not yet been fully processed to a final outcome. However, any “Retried” items that have already been processed to a final outcome (such as Success or Application Exception) can be left in the queue, as they no longer affect the fresh load for Day 2.

Hope this helps you.! :grinning: :white_check_mark:

Happy Automation.

Regards,
@pratik.maskar

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.