FTE calculator - easy

Dear All,
my question is also related to FTE saving calculation. I have been completing the UiPath Academy.
I feel it is very important to choose the right process for automation, so I want to be on the top of evaluation of all those processes that are submitted to me for development.

In the Academy the FTE saving calculation is not clear and/or easy to follow (to me at least:sweat:). Does anyone have a simplified example or more detailed, user friendly calculation guide?
thank you very much!

1 Like

@Tombababe7 Check the below link, it might be useful for u.

1 Like

This is the simple calculation and it takes into account shrinkage (annual leave, sick leave, training etc.).

1. task time x task amount = XXX hours
  2. Our work weeks are 38 hours so you then divide the XXX hours / 38
  3. Times that amount by 1.28 to take into account shrinkage.

e.g.

5 tasks x 1 hour per task = 5 hours

5 / 38 hours per week = 0.13

0.13 x 1.28 = 0.16 FTE saved

Recommend talking to your company in regards to what percentage to base shrinkage off, and how many hours are in a full time contract.

Edit: I made one.
Simple FTE Calculator.xlsx (11.1 KB)

2 Likes

Thank you very much, impressive the effort you took to deliver me information.
You are right, I got stuck with another Excel sheet (which I can not attach :slight_smile: but it is about general process assessment FTE calculator with green and blue headers) from the academy and oversaw the calculator.

Thank for you too! This is the simple input, which is part of the automation FTE saving. You are right maybe I wasn’t concrete.
So to your FTE calculation we need to add (see reply and link to @Manjuts90 reference link) the
following evaluations:

rule based process
standard input
free text
type
process maturity

I just wanted to repeat these key words for my fellow colleagues to find the solution faster.

thanks guys!

1 Like

Ill be honest, this is totally subjective to what your business requirements are rather then using the stock standard one UiPath provides.

Here is a screenshot of the one we use at my company:

Depending on the requirement (process documentation) depends on the weighting, some have more importance, some less.

Edit:

To expand a bit further, we use FTE savings or cost avoidance AND the feasibility assessment score when making a decision on what to automate.

6 Likes

I fully agree. I am collecting information to define our standards when evaluating business requests. My story is that Business made their own RPA project without IT in the project (the biggest failure was not to consult application experts on putting automation on top of their applications which are not meant for RPA, business didn’t know the already very high degree of automation in their processes).
After this failed project (packaged as a success story with lessons learned) IT (personally me) got the project shifted on the lap to deal with it, make it work.

Looking at the glass half full: this is actually a great situation, because I have concrete examples what not to do in the future. How a whole list of application crashes under automation, etc. And I can define on my own what to look into before engaging RPA development.
In my business environment the idea of RPA is pushed by the owners, so business is requesting the craziest implementations without any knowledge of RPA technology, business is pushing for solutions everywhere. They think it is a magic tool that can handle everything. So my role is not about convincing business on RPA, but more to demonstrate with such tables as yours, what is feasible and what isn’t. Where will remain human supporting effort and where human effort may disappear.

So thank you very much for your table, I value a clear strategy very much.

1 Like

Your story sounds exactly like mine! Happy to help via pm any info you need or if you want to run anything by me. A big point we made was on the risk and controls piece as that was missed completely on the bot made outside of us locally. They increased risk we reduced it.

Do you have a risk methodology framework?

I have a “blank paper” front of me, so this is a luxury to begin my own methodology. Our business has no mature and stable processes. Yesterday eg. I told them an error from the log file, and they were wondering that the job was using a specific Excel table: they don’t even know what they asked the robot to do.

I am also feeling that they are happy to push to IT the trouble, for them it is important to have less work. BTW they took in advance the project the FTE saving literally and sent away 3 people. It doesn’t hurt them that they created a full time job for me. smile:
what’s the culture for PM here?This text will be blurred

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.