Exception.source not retrieved correctly

Hello everyone!

I’m facing an issue here after upgrading one of our robots to the latest version of UiPath Studio.

All of our projects are FlowCharts invoked through a state machine with a Try/Catch, which allowed us to get the Exception.message and Exception.source accurately and easily.

Unfortunately, since the update, the Exception.source is not getting retrieved correctly anymore. We need this information to be able to debug our projects effectively.

Now, the only info we get from the Exception.source is either System.Activities or UiPath.UiAutomation.Activities but not the name of the activity itself.

Do you know how to get around this issue?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Hi,

Good catch, that’s a major issue as most of the enterprise processes are based on this approach (Tracking source)

Hopefully this will get handled before release.

Cheers

2 Likes

Hi @MathiasAscolese

Our team is aware of the issue and is working on a fix :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you for the fast answer! :slight_smile:

Hi there! The fix will come in 2018.4

1 Like

I could not do it with uipath community edition in 2018.4

Is it really fixed?

It was fixed after the Community version was released. The Community will receive an update once the Enterprise version is released. And that’s just around the corner.
Anyway, if you switch to the Beta channel you should have the fix. Moreover, I kindly ask you, if you could switch on Beta to see if it still give you a wrong source.

2 Likes

@radutzp, I am still getting issue. For exception.source I am getting System.activities instead of the actual activity name. In my case, error occurred in Select Item activity. It would be nice if we get activity name , as it will help in debugging. Thanks.

Pretty sure we still have the issue in 19.4 also.

Best,
Sonny

1 Like

Hi,

Did anyone found a fix for this ? I verified this as well and it seems the exception only shows the activity name when we extract the activity in a workflow and put that workflow in Try-Catch.
Then exception.Source shows the activity name which failed inside the Extracted Workflow.

@loginerror can you help here ?

regards,

Hi @mayank_26

Could you update us on the version of your UiPath.System activity package? Could you try with the latest one?

Hi @loginerror,

Sorry for late reply, it is 19.10.1 (latest from Enterprise Orchestrator) and Studio version is 19.10.4.

regards,

Any chance you could provide a zip of a new project that reproduces this issue? You can then either submit it via the Studio feedback feature as a bug, or attach it here on the Forum and I’ll create a ticket myself :slight_smile:

Hi,
TestComments.zip (12.3 KB)
Here you go.

Below is what is expected, but I only get it when i extract the activity as a workflow and then surround that workflow in Try Catch and log the Exception Source in Log message.

When I directly surround the activity in Try Catch, below is the output of Log message when I log Exception Source.

I hope this helps. :slight_smile:

Hi guys,

Unfortunately, we weren’t able to solve this then :frowning: from a technical point of view. I’m really really sorry for not coming back to you with the status. :bowing_man:

As a workaround, you can add the sequences in an invoke workflow and the exception source should be correctly sent in the try/catch from the parent workflow.
Example:

=Start
=Try
===InvokeWorkflow(BusinessLogic)
=Catch(exception)
===LogMessage(exception.source)

This should log the correct source.

2 Likes

Thanks @radutzp that is what I am doing these days. :expressionless:

Hi @loginerror

This issue is also present on UiPath.System.Activities 20.4.0

2 Likes

Hi @loginerror

it seems 2020.10 also has this issue too. exception.source just returns (e.g. UiPath.System.ActivitiesUiPath.Activities) instead of activity description.

Any ideas?

Thanks!