Excel Activities running too slow

Hy,

I am working in a bot in which I need to do some editing of an excel file. For that i am using UiPath built in acitivities: Excel Application Scope, Read Cell, Write Cell and Delete Rows. UiPath gets it done, my concern is with the speed. It took 15 minutes to adjust a 6 thousands row file, I beleive it is a lot! I did a VBA script for the exact same operation it runs in a couple of seconds.

Is there anything I can do so it runs faster?

Regards

To fix the Excel slow-to-respond issue start the Excel file in safe mode. To do so follow the steps given in the article: Close Excel completely > hit Windows + R > then in the Run dialog box type excel –safe > press Enter.

Regards,
Will

Hi @William_Blech_Sister,

If you already have a VBA Script for this, you could make it into a Subroutine with defined inputs and outputs and call the subroutine from your RPA process using the “Execute Macro” activity - https://docs.uipath.com/activities/docs/execute-macro

Let me know if this helps

Thanks,
Nishant

Hello, I did not understood you. Can you share me some more info on how to do it?!

I have long used this function in UiPath, howver, I am trying to avoid it. If I could not figure it out using UiPath Activities I will use this resource

Hi @William_Blech_Sister

Have you tried with Workbook activity ?

Regards
Gokul

Got it.
As per my understanding, since you have a 6k+ row file, the operation gets slowed down because you are reading the entire file into memory + you are doing CRUD operations into Excel from a 3rd party tool + read/write cells are expensive than a read/write range operations.

Could you try reading the Excel into a datatable and performing these operations on the datatable and then writing the datatable back to the Excel? This might speed up operations?

hello,

The problem why your program is take more time is because your program runs the execution using your memory.

The program will execute faster from RAM than memory… using an excel file activity will take a longer time to complete the task, because your excel file is in the memory, so the program will always open a file to execute the task for each row.

You may try to use the data table activity to perform this operation because this activity will take all the rows of excel in RAM, so the process will run faster.