Excel 3rd party COM add-in opens separate IE window, UiPath bot does not see it

Please bear with me as I try to explain this. I can’t post any screen grabs or upload any XAML files because of proprietary information that could be exposed.

My automation needs to work with a 3rd party Excel COM add-in that launches a login sequence upon opening the spreadsheet. The first screen requires selecting a URL for a server connection, then clicking a connect button. So far, so good.

After clicking the connect button, a new window opens within Excel that I believe is actually a browser, but all indications within UiExplorer are that it’s Excel. There are two screens to navigate: one to select a login method, and then a screen to enter user ID and password.

I have recorded the process successfully. When I play it back, at the point where the bot has clicked connect, it opens a new Internet Explorer window. The window looking for the login method is there. It’s in the Windows taskbar, as an Excel window. The bot doesn’t see this. At this point, it times out looking for the login method button.

I’ve tried many methods of adjusting the application scope, creating nested application scopes, etc. Pasting the server URL into a new IE window generates an error from the server.

Current software versions in use:
Studio 2020.10.6
UiPath SDK 20.10.7585.27318
UiPath.System.Activities 20.10.4
UiPath.UIAutomation.Activities 20.10.6
UiPath.Excel.Activities 2.10.4

Thanks in advance.

You can try attach Window/Browser and get Uibrowser/Uielement and pass to the next actions.

I can’t find an attach Window/Browser in activities. Am I missing a package?

you might have to enable the classic activities.

Is your excel opening in some sort of like a citrix session?

Thank you, sir. That did the trick.