Dynamic Datatable

datatable

Hi,

I’m new to UiPath and I was trying to do a prototype to scrap data into Excel table.

I formatted the data in txt file as following:

“ProductCategory,ProductCode,InitialExpense,RenewalExpense
A,0,162.11,0
B,1000,0,0
C,2020,0,13.11322602
D,2112,162.11,44.40943709”

How do I turn that into a dynamic datatable in UiPath?

I’ve tried using “Add Data Row”, but that only add all data into one column. How do I tell UiPath which column to add data in? Is there any easier way to convert the data into a excel table straight away?

Thank you very much for your help,

Cassie

Since the file is comma separated, did you try changing the file extension to csv which can be opened in excel?

Path.ChangeExtension(file, “.csv”) ( Keeping txt file intact)

if you need to open in xlsx, then Read CSV >convert to datatable > write range to xlsx

Hi @cassieyuan,

Actually, once you have added the columns to the datatable you can add the rows entirely with the ItemArray property, for example:

Also, be sure that your array of data contains the same amount of columns, otherwise it will throw an error.

Main.xaml (8.7 KB)

Thank you, that solves my problem.

Just as a sidenote:
There’s always the Add Data Row activity:

If there’s a premade (f.e. by MS or UiPath) activity to do the same, it’s 99% of the time more efficient to use those (in your example, at least 2 Assign’s and the InvokeMethod are superflous).

Especially if you fall back to using InvokeMethod, as it really does a lot under the hood to bind to the method to call, propagate arguments etc., while most activities use direct calls.
It’s still often a necessity (f.e. all void methods that don’t have an associated activity), but not in this case.

Hello @vvaidya.
Can you please attach a sample workflow of the instructions listed in your post?
Thank you so much,
Camilla :slight_smile: