Device ID vs. Activation ID

Can someone explain difference between Device ID (which is returned by regutil.exe) and Activation ID (which is in Studio)

Cheers

Hi
Device ID : licensing provider (Nalpeiron) assigns a unique device ID for each client that activates UiPath. This is a unique combination of 20 numbers and letters individual for each machine.

Activation ID: Its license code that gets generated when we submit the activation request code to the website https://activate.uipath.com/, while activating our studio license

Cheers @J0ska

1 Like

Hi @Palaniyappan,
Which of those two should be used when sending “unlock device” request to Contact Licensing Queries & Activations

Cheers

I can see like both
one after the other
but Device ID is mandatory

Cheers @J0ska

Thx @Palaniyappan

Is it right that prior 2019.10 Activation ID was called Device ID?

Is it possible that by cloning a virtual machine I will get identical (=duplicate) Device ID (i.e. Device ID from regutil.exe)

Cheers

hmm… i need some clarification on this
@pablito kindly help us on this pls

Cheers @J0ska

1 Like

Hi @J0ska,
Only the naming context has changed. In fact both are the same. And yes if your are cloning virtual machine it will be the same. I don’t see the reason why it should differ. Even OS product key will stay the same as well as all settings and registry. That’s why it’s called “cloning”. For example in Active Directory environments to avoid problems related to cloning Microsoft provided tool which is called Sysprep (like System Preparation) which generates all SSIDs and keys from scratch so the machine is unique in comparison to the machine from which clone was made.

Edit: To avoid such situation for UiPath you can license all machines through Orchestrator. Then each machine will have separate machine-key. And you will see this:
No information about Activation ID :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi @Pablito,
What if I install UiPath on such cloned machines?
Will it cause some issue with product activation (without Orchestrator)?

Cheers

I would say that best practice is to use Sysprep each time you are cloning machine to avoid any other conflicts. But if we stay like this I think one of the machine (depends which started Studio firstly) can show you information about not being activated.

Thx!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.