Assign Activity - Splitting Strings

Hello everyone!

I have this kind of string and I can’t get it to split how i want it.
“ID: 12345 Name: Firstname Lastname Position: Assistant”

I tried splitting it with Employee.Split(":"c) but than I get:

ID
 12345 Name
 Firstname Lastname Position
 Assistant

Instead of this:

Firstname Lastname 
Assistant

Is there a way to split a String at two positions at once?
for Example, to get the ID, i would need to split at “ID: " and " Name: *”

Thanks alot, Mahrie :bear:

Hi

Fine in that case we can use REGEX method instead of split method
Like this

For I’d value mention like this in assign activity

str_Id = System.Text.RegularExpressions.Regex.Match(Strinput.ToString,”(?<=Name:).*(?=Position:)”).ToString.Trim

For Name

str_Name = System.Text.RegularExpressions.Regex.Match(Strinput.ToString,”(?<=NAME:).*(?=NAME:)”).ToString.Trim

For Postion

str_position = System.Text.RegularExpressions.Regex.Match(Strinput.ToString,”(?<=Position:).*”).ToString.Trim

If you have multiple values then use MATCHES instead of MATCH

Cheers @mahrie

Can you explain what all that in the brackets means?
System.Text.RegularExpressions.Regex.Match(Strinput.ToString,”(?<Name:).*(?=Position:)”).ToString.Trim

What does it do? For example “?<”

Mahrie :bear:

It’s a typo from my side

Actually it is ?<=

It means if we know the position of one word or two words then we can get the word in between them

To denote in between them we use ?<= and ?=

Cheers @mahrie

Hi,

Another solution :
If there are multiple records in your string, the following might be better.

mc = System.Text.RegularExpressions.Regex.Matches(yourString,"ID:\s*(?<ID>\w+)\s+Name:\s*(?<Name>\S+\s+\S+)\s+Position:\s*(?<Position>.*)")

Sample20211104-6.zip (2.5 KB)

Regards,

Hello,

you can easily remove both “ID” and “Position” label. So you can firstly split a string as you’ve mentioned and then remove “ID” and “Position” string from the list that you’ve created. List.Remove() method should get the work done.

Best,

Artur

If i do that, the variable just stays empty. Could it be there is another typo, not just the ?<= that you fixed on your post?

Thats seems really complex. Could you explain the what the code does?

I will try this in case the RegEx Version wont work, because now I kind of want to make it work.

Not sure if REGEX is really necessary in that case. :slight_smile: If you’d like to stick with it, there’s a simpler method to use it - “Matches” activity. It does the same as the code showed by colleagues.

Best,

Artur

Hi,

"ID:\s*(?<ID>\w+)\s+Name:\s*(?<Name>\S+\s+\S+)\s+Position:\s*(?<Position>.*)"

First, \s* or \s+ means 0 (or 1) or more whitespace. For now, replace it to " " to understand easily.

"ID: (?<ID>\w+) Name: (?<Name>\S+ \S+) Position: (?<Position>.*)"

Next (?<xxx>expression) means named group. We can get it by name as m.Group(“ID”).
To understand easier, use simple group.

"ID: (\w+) Name: (\S+ \S+) Position: (.*)"

\w+ means 1 or more word characters.
\S+ means 1 or more non-whitespaces.

So the above expression matches the following.

“ID: (1 or more word characters) Name: (1 or more non-whitespaces 1 or more non-whitespaces) Position: (0 or more any characters)”

Finally we can get characters inside parentheses by name like m.Group(“ID”).Value

Regards,

It worked for me

Cheers @mahrie

I kept this in mind and tried it. Wasn’t exactly the solution, but I just used .replace() instead of remove, which than worked out for my case.

Thanks everyone,
Mahrie :bear:

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.