Why Output value is Null or error

Hii Everyone, hope you are doing well
Im a junior dev

I have been facing a weird issue i.e
Whenever in a workflow there’s a error…the pre captured values in a arguments are getting deleted or showing null

Let me explain you in detail----

Assume there are 4 workflows name “A”, “B”, “C” & “D”
Consider “A” as main workflow

B is involked in A
C in invoked in B
D is invoked in C
All workflows have try catches

Some values are passing in from the Workflow “A” to “D”
& like wise some values are passing our from “D” to “A”

So in a scenario when there will a system exception or any type of error ,in the workflow “D”

then it supposed to travel to workflow “A” & should be handled in that final try catch

lets say there are some values generated in the flow “D” , “C” or “B”
So while coming out from those workflow, those values should reflect in the main workflow(A) right ?

But in my case those are carrying Null values

Please tell mw how to fix this

Thanks in advance

when sending from A to others the call chain has to be respected and should not be broken
in case of failures ensure that the direction is in/out. Then A will get e.g the updated values as well

When an argument comes later into the picture e.g. C → D, then A is not aware of it, and never will be recognizing it.

In some cases, a dictionary will be a better choice.
dictArgumentSet send from A to B, B passes it forward … and the directions are in/out

In this dictionary, all workflows can add, modify particular arguments like A1, B1,C1…

However it is recommended to check, how much complexity /close couplings of the modules are needed and if it can be simplified. A too complicated Argument wiring loses the flexibility and results to call chain breaks.

1 Like

@Jiban_Stars This is expected. When any exception occurs in the invoked workflow it will not return any values that generated in that workflow instead it returns null value

• In your scenario when an exception occurs in the Workflow D then it going to catch block (As you mentioned each workflow has try catch block) from there its returning to Workflow A with null values

• To avoid this case you can use separate try catches for the activities

1 Like

There is a way around it, but it is rather cumbersome, especially if you deeply nest your workflows and need to pass on a value through several layers. Basically you enrich your exception object by storing all out_arguments in the exception.data dictionary, thus passing them on, to be read later in a different wokflow.

Disclaimer: I’m doing this just from memory, I hope I’m not making any critical errors.

Lets assume a simple examle:

• You have workflow A, and Workflow B.
  • A invokes B which is supposed to return out_MyName as a string.
  • A stores the returned value in a variable MyName

The solution requires 2 error handlers:

• one in workflow B, encompassing the entire sequence of Workflow B
  • one in Workflow A, surrounding only the invoke of B in workflow A.

Catch of error Handler B:
→ assign: exception.data(“MyNameKey”) = out_MyName
→ rethrow

The orriginal out argument is now part of the exception, and by rethrowing it the enriched exception is passed to the next error handler.

Catch of Handler A:
→ assign: MyName = exception.data(“MyNameKey”)

And voila… you passed an out arguement value through the handlers.
In 99.9% of the cases you don’t need this construction to pass on data but there’s a reason I figured this one out at some point… I found a usecase for it in a complex script.

1 Like