String.IsNullOrEmpty stopped evaluating correctly

I have asked/encountered this problem before but am unsure what the fix was. I have an if statement that is using String.IsNullOrEmpty to evaluate a variable being null or empty. The variable I am passing in is empty, however it does not continue to the ‘Then’ part of the code. Instead, I get a “If: Object reference not set to an instance of an object” exception. Thanks in advance

Can I see your workflow?

it contains some technical data so I do not believe I can share it unfortunately

Is this how you have it set up? This is working for me when the string is null and when the string is empty.

1 Like

@jpreziuso

The default value of String is Nothing (a null reference). So it will not throw object reference error incase you are using a string variable in IF condition.

May i know the string value you’re using is a item from an array or other collections which may not initialized.

1 Like

Yes that is how I have it set up

Please make sure your variable is of type String.

The string value is not initialized. It is a variable coming from a database query

@jpreziuso could you try like this just once:

@jpreziuso

The value which you’re receiving from query is a plain string datatype or other datatype?

If possible can you share the screenshot of the if condition and variable declaration from variable panel.

The query gets a string and then passes that string to another variable. This string is empty (by choice) and not initialized to anything but the rest of the ‘if’ still does not evaluate

Don’t use .tostring in the if condition.because when the string variable value is null…first it will try to convert it to string when .tostring is used and later it will check the null condition