RegEx Match Activity

Hi all,

I wish to extract certain string based on fixed pattern of the input String I am providing and for this I am using Matches activity of Uipath. The problem I am facing is while extracting data from multiple lines. My Input String looks like below:

28 - Country - Germany (DE)
83 - Location - F 709, Ludwigshafen, Germany
448 - Building - F 709
449 - Floor - EG
450 - Room - 3
461 - Remark / Comment - Example Text
519 - Number of LAN ports -
723 - Wall outlet number - Example Number
1046 - Patch removal -
1047 - GSP Message ID - Port_Patching
1122 - Aftercare - Aftercare

Expression before “-” is the fixed pattern for all lines, like in "448 - Building - " left site expression is fixed. If I wish to extract only one line, Matches is working fine with Pattern “448 - Building - (.*)” but if I want to extract data from more lines, it fails. :expressionless:

can anyone suggest how can I use multiple patterns to extract multiple expressions.

Thanks,

Fine
from this what is the term from each line you are expecting it as output
can you give us an example
Cheers @mayank_26

The output can be arrary/string of below from the same example I have stated above.

Germany (DE)
F 709, Ludwigshafen, Germany
F 709
EG
Example Text

Example Number

Port_Patching
Aftercare

1 Like

Fine
keep this whole string in a text file
–now use read text file activity and get the output with a variable of type string named str_input
–now use a assign activity like this
arr_strings = str_input.Split(Environment.Newline.ToArray())
where arr_strings is a variable of type array of string
–now use a FOR EACH ACTIVITY and pass the above variable arr_Strings as iinput and change the type argument as string in the property panel
–inside the loop use WRITELINE activity with this expression
Split(item.ToString,“-”).last.ToString.Trim

Cheers @mayank_26

That’s because your regex is not dynamic enough. If you want the “Matches” activity to return all those items, make your regex more dynamic.

Try this:

“(\d+)( +)-( +)([\w\s/\]+) -( *)(.<*asterisk>)”

EDIT: There’s some problem here. Don’t include the word “asterisk” in your regex. DO include the wild card, though.

~SG

I used similar Regex “\d+\s-\s(?:.* - )(.*)” and it is working fine. I think it will work in match, I will test this, can you suggest how Output of Match seems like ?

Hi,

You can get it using Matches activity with the following settings.

Pattern : "(?<=^\d*?\s*-.*?-\s*).*$"
Check Mulitline of Regex Option property.

Regards,

1 Like

Fine
Mention this in MATCHES activity and get the output with a variable named out_matches and enable multilingual option as @Yoichi suggested
—now use a FOR EACH activity and pass the above variable as input and change the type argument as System.Text.RegularExpressions.Regex.Match in the property panel of for each loop
—inside the loop use a writeline activity and mention like this
item.ToString

Cheers @mayank_26

It will work fine except for line items like the one here: “519 - Number of LAN ports -”
Add another * after the last space character.

true, it is working for some expressions but not for all, I think I need to explore more patterns to get exact match for complete string, though multiline option helped. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I tried and my pattern is capturing right elements, now I wish to extract them but for each activity is not showing the correct output.

I tested with this data and it shows matches. (in yellow)

How can I extract this information line by line in String ?

I’d suggest Regex using Matches.

Specifically, you could use something like this if you’re sure that the input is going to always be in that format where there’s a number, hyphen, thing, hyphen, thing you want captured:

1 Like

Hi @dmccammond,

I am using the same thing, but its the position i think not able to understand. Could you suggest if this is the community edition you are using in the screenshot ?

If yes the version ?

When dealing with regular expressions, you should use a tester first to make sure that the Regex applies to your data. In the example I posted, I used .NET Regex Tester - Regex Storm, which is advisable as it uses the .NET language Regex.

I did use the tester and it shows that it is separating the expression using this pattern. Problem I am facing it to extract this information.

Like myVariable(3).ToString is showing me 449 - Floor - EG since it is in Index 3. but I need EG only out of this.

BTW, this is system based information and will be in same format always.

I found the error with the help of .NET Regex Tester - Regex Storm.

The Pattern which we were using was incorrect thus it was not showing the correct value. This this Regex Tester I could finally locate the position and extract the elements.

For my String, the actual pattern was (?!.-)(.).

Thanks Everyone for their help . :slight_smile:

1 Like