Loop files in folder oldest to newest

I have a list file in a folder like the below image, i usually loop the files in a folder like this

Directory.GetFiles(folderLocation,“.”) , then set it to a variable with type array of object . But I want to have the oldest file to loop first i, scenario is work with oldest file to newest file. I seen many examples of getfiles.orderbyascend etc, none are working, how can I achieve this?

Hi @Jay_Chacko … are you choosing oldest by “Date Modified”??

i would say so, or “created at” probably fine since the file don’t get edited after creation

@Jay_Chacko - Please check this post…

You just have to tweek the LINQ query posted there…Hope this helps…

if you are still having issues, let me know i will try to share the sample

1 Like

i keep getting datatype error, attempting to use this code, my variable is a datatype System.object , always used this for looping files but first time using like this

Directory.GetFiles(sourceFolder,“.”).OrderByDescending(Function(d) New FileInfo(d).CreationTime).Last

@Jay_Chacko - Here you go…

XAML :

Directory.GetFiles(“YourFolderPath”).OrderBy(Function(d) New FileInfo(d).creationtime)

StrFiles =

For Each : argument type is Object

Write Line: Path.GetFileNameWithoutExtension(EachFile.ToString) + " creation time is " + File.GetCreationTime(EachFile.ToString).ToString

Output:

1 Like

what is datatype of StrFiles? was kind of hard to see, i guessed some and was giving me error

Hi @Jay_Chacko - I have provided the screenshot for that above…

1 Like

@Jay_Chacko - please find the xaml ReadFiles_Oldest_To_Newest.zip (35.5 KB)

1 Like

thank you so much :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.