How to setup a connection to Oracle Database with UiPath

I need to connect to a Oracle database using UiPath. Have been going through this trail. Still I am unable to setup a connection. As I understood there are two ways to connect, using different combinations of below.

Connection strings

• Connection String = Driver={Microsoft ODBC for Oracle};Server=10.3.4.xxx;
  • Data Source=(DESCRIPTION=(CONNECT_DATA=(SERVICE_NAME=<service_name>))(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=)(PORT=1521)));Uid=;Pwd=;”

Driver Options

• System.Data.OracleClient
  • System.Data.Odbc

But I am unable to figure out the correct way to setup the connection. There is an approach creating a DSN and installing a oracle instant client and severa steps.

Can someone help to figure out the steps to follow, inorder to setup the connection.

Note: My OS is 64bit. Only the 32bit version of Microsoft Odbc driver for oracle exist in my machine.

4 Likes

Hi @urweeraratne,

In your machine Oracle should be there
Then give connection string
Data Source=“”;Initial Catalog=“”;Persist Security Info=True;User ID=“”;Password=“”
Driver Options
System.Data.OracleClient
Give this & try

2 Likes

A oracle data source must be configured on your machine or any machine which will be accessing the Oracle provider. Once the source is configured in your Windows PC, you’ll be able to see it while selecting providers in Uipath Studio.

Thanks @Jagdish2593. But, what do you mean by a data source? You mean a Oracle database? Or something like Oracle instant client or DSN? Still confused…:-/

Thanks @varunk. But what do you mean by Oracle should be their? U mean the instant client? Or something else?

Oracle Instant Client is not required. DSN should be enough.

Can we connect without using the DSN based approach?

Hi @urweeraratne,

Now oracle is available in your machine or taking remote

I don’t have a oracle server running in my machine. I am trying to connect to Oracle server hosted under a given ip.

I could create a DSN. But when I test the connection, um getting below error.

Unable to connect
SQLState=08004[Oracle][Odbc][Ora]ORA-12154:TNS: could not resolve the connect identifier specified

I could create the connection successfully. The above error was due to an additional space in the connection string in tnsnames.ora file…:joy::joy:

Steps followed are:

1. Download oracle instant client (basic and odbc driver) - 32 bit
  2. Extract content of both to one folder
  3. Add the path of instant client folder to System variables (Path and TNS_ADMIN)
  4. Install instant client by running odbc_install.exe in instant client folder
  5. Create the tnsnames.ora file inside the instant client folder.
    **If u have the file in some other location, make sure TNS_ADMIN is pointed to that location.
  6. Go to Administrative tool and launch Admin tool for ODBC (32 bit)
  7. Create a User DSN by clicking Add button under User DSN tab
  • Select Oracle db
  • Click Finish
  • Provide a preferred name to dsn
  • Select server name from TSN name drop down
  • Provide server username
  • Click Test Connection
  • Provide the password and Ok

**Connection success message is received.

1. In the connection wizard of UiPath, generate connection string by selecting Dsn name and then providing username, password and testing connection.
  2. On succesful connection, click OK
  3. Select System.Data.Odbc from drop down

This worked for me…:slight_smile:

@Jagdish2593, @varunk Thanks for the support…:slight_smile:

19 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.