Word Automation with StudioX - Modify Word Templates

Word is one of the most used Office applications. Whether you write contracts or create a participant list, Word is an important tool.

We want to hear your thoughts! How does Word automation seem now that you have reached the end of the lesson, will you be using StudioX further for other automation projects involving Word?

For any technical question , please create a new topic in the StudioX category here .

1 Like

Hello,

Word file automation is the new feature that has been recently added which is cool.
But as a user and developer if I may suggest that it would be good to have some activity to get the particular text from the word file just like we have for Application Automation.
For example if there is a file which contains transaction ID, and we want only that number.

Hope to hear soon…

Regards.

1 Like

I think there should have been some information of BindingRepository variable types and the use of Saved.Values(Of ExcelValue)(“Exchange Rate”) method of temporarily saving values instead of assuming especially non technical users how this should be used.

Studio x is supposed to make automation easier, if there are any complications they should be thoroughly explained.

1 Like

I choose to start with copying the word file and saving it with a new name, otherwise the TEMPLATE will just be overwritten and in a real case that would be problematic. And to make it even more real world applicable I suggest to add “Save as word” or “Export as PDF” as a last step.

2 Likes

I did the same thing inorder to avoid replacing the template with the updates, saved a copy as the first step. As you mentioned putting that as the last step would be the ideal. Also noticed there is a check box which says “Auto Save” I unchecked that.

2 Likes

I do not understand why do we use Insert DataTable ???

Are there any way to delete a text instead of replacing it with a space? Just like you in word office can replace a text with nothing.

I am very new to UI Path, so I accept my knowledge is lacking of what is already possible.

However, I like this idea. I would hope to be able to take the example given.Transaction ID, then store the text that follows. Perhaps using the Transaction ID as the identifying label (anchor) then provide the ability to decide how much text afterwards you wish to take. Breaking either after a fixed number of characters or perhaps a definable break character code, eg space, tab, -.: etc.

I found some errors in the PDF: Practice - Modify Word templates - Robot Path.pdf

the localization addresses under excel are made for the “Contract Data” sheet, it should read 2 instead of 23. It also lacks the replacement of the currency rate.

It is a pity that in the exercise the addresses in particular of the total are fixed and that we do not look for the value in the sheet

But it is nevertheless a beautiful demonstration of the tool

Jean Marc

I am excited to see how we can use the Automation for Word on our team. I am still working through this as I am also new to UiPath.

I liked this exercise very much. It made me think of how to organize the path. I think it is a good exercise to get the learning mature into our mind

In the Resume exercise tried to create 2 resumes, if we have 2 rows with different info in Excel, used for each excel row activity, it showed success, but 2 resumes were not created- I think it is because I am not sure if I am saving it correctly. Is this possible using word resources?

A table is a different element in Excel and Word, UiPath utilizes Insert DataTable to copy a range from an Excel spreadsheet and turns them into a table in Word.

Note that if you have a name for the table in Excel you can select it easily when calling the Insert DataTable function.

For deeper knowledge on this check here.

1 Like

This is one of the most common RPA target, an HR onboarding process :slight_smile:

My guess is inside your For Each Row function, you may need to insert a Save Document As function with a variable inside the Save As File similar to this:

"Contracts with " + <[CurrentRow.ByField(“Seller Name”)]>

I don’t use Word files much, but this was great practice.

Awesome! it will help do some tasks related to request payment from invoice in my work.

HI i did not find any Save Document As option or function in studiox.i am new to studiox can you help me with save the word document once the details or filled?can you eloborate and explain

Hey there @gouthami_usl, here’s a screenshot of the action Save Document As inside the Word activities.

Note that you must use this action inside the Use Word File resource, otherwise it cannot function properly and there will be an error inside it.

1 Like

This was a good exercise. I modified it a little by adding string.conc to the [TOTAL] and [EURO EXCHANGE RATE]. I thought it might look a little better in the Word document. Here is what I used in the replace [TOTAL] section: string.Concat(“$” + Excel.Sheet(“Goods”).Cell(“E11”))
Having a lot of fun learning about RPA. I am not a developer but I am finally grasping the concepts of software development and writing expressions.

1 Like

Never could get this to work. I had an issue with my computer syncing to OneDrive and never could get the training to work. Based on feedback from UiPath, I moved on with my training because I spent over 4 hours trying to get this to work.