Who Owns Studio/Development Licensing

Is a studio license the same as a development license?

I am having trouble understanding if the studio license is owned by the developers, or do they only apply to each client?

Is the client expected to front the costs of the studio license? Or does the development team own the license and can develop multiple projects within one license?

I may be overthinking this concept but there is too much ambiguity surrounding the subject…

Hi @Alec_S,

Welcome to Uipath Forum Community.

Studio is used for the development so you can call it as development license, in terms of Uipath, it is Studio license and the development team bears the cost of it.

for deploying the development to client machines you can use different types of Robots based on your development types. You can read more about Robots below:

Once you are clear with the type of development and Robot to deploy at client side, you can contact UiPath Sales support to procure Studio licenses and number of Robots your team required.

Remember, Client does not pay for your Developments but for the solutions you give to them. :slight_smile:

I hope this is clear, please feel free to ask if you have more questions.

Thanks,
Mayank

Hey @Alec_S

Welcome to the community!!

Usually, Studio license cost is not transferred to the client. It is bared by the company where he RPA developers are working in. So the development team owns the Studio and the development license. For the client, pass in the cost that are required to run the project. Production robots, orchestrator if needed etc…

@Lahiru.Fernando @mayank_26

Thanks for the clarification. I saw the features to activate a license through Orchestrator and wasn’t sure if this attaches the license to a system.

Appreciate the quick response!

Hi @Alec_S,

It does, if your Robot is connected to the same Orchestrator.

For example, you may have been learning through Community version’s Orchestrator but later will get Enterprise version which will be activated by another Enterprise Orchestrator.

if that is the case, the Enterprise Orchestrator will take over the community license of your Studio.

thanks,
Mayank

1 Like

@mayank_26
Hmm, So for example,
I have a client get an orchestrator license - the studio license cannot be connected so I retain my license?

From what I think I know, a studio license is needed to edit a workflow, and as part of the sustain & improve concept, changes would have to be possible after implementation.
Does this mean to offer maintenance & support a studio license must be dedicated to an instance of orchestrator?

Sorry to drag this out…

Which Studio version are using? are you using version 18.3 or lower?

No, we are up to date with Studio’s latest versions

Hi @Alec_S,

Sorry i could not revert earlier.

If your client is providing Orchestrator license then you have to talk Uipath sales to integrate your studio license with that Orchestrator as well. I think that can be possible.

From what i see, you need licensed orchestrator, studio and related robots so that you could publish your developments to your clients.

Talk to Uipath sales selling Orchestrator to your clients, they will arrange it. :blush:

1 Like

Starting with the latest release 19.10, you will be able to keep your Studio local license and only connect to Orchestrator (without consuming a Studio license from Orchestrator). We did this exactly because we have received feedback with cases like yours. Hope this helps!

1 Like