What is the purpose of Asset Tab in Config File?

What should the asset tab be used in DU? Which components or settings should it contain?

Thanks,
Best regards,

If you have configured assets in the orchestrator, you can name the key value pairs for it in the assets tab of the config file.

Column: A Any name you want the value sotred in
Column B: the name of the asset in the Orchestrator.

The use: it stores all your called upon asset in the config() dictionary same as the 1st 2 tabs, without having to call your own ‘get asset’ activities all the time.

It’s a design choice on what you prefer.

1 Like

First of all, thank you for your quick response.

I don’t understand what assets should be defined Orch and used in DU? Which cases would require using assets? I mean the assets are only available as type of text, bool, Integer or credentials, not a document.

Hello @bzural

Assets can store your credentials for login to application, can keep urls, can keep any flag values etc…so whatever value you want to keep secure and you want to keep somewhere apart from the direct workflow or config file can be saved to orchestrator asset.

For example if you have a username and password, you can create an asset of type credential in orchestrator and you can use the Get asset activity to get those credentials to your workflow.

If there are any password change you can directly modify in orchestrator asset.
The key for the orchestrator asset you need to keep in config file and you need to call it inside workflow.

It will create like a dictionary variable.

Thank you @Rahul_Unnikrishnan , I know the exact purpose of assets from Orchestrator but probably I could not explain myself. I just wanted to ask, is that something required for getting document names? Because normally on the performer side, getting credentials is not used.

@bzural you can keep document names also.

For example in your automation you are using a file template which is having a name. But in future your customer is asking you to modify the template name. If you change the name , then you will have to update the same in your project. But if you are storing the filename in an asset, you can just modify the name in the asset itself. Project will get liase with the new name.

It’s about managing constant values for your script that may be less constant than expected.

Example: it is a best practice to store as little hardcoded values in your script, and put them in a config for easy management. THink of URL’s or email adresses for report ecipients.

While it is nice and dandy in a config, if you config is part of you package you stil can’t make any changes to the config values without uploading a newer version of your script.

By using them as assets this can be done without that.

Now, the added value of the asset tab in the config file is merely a convenience of having all you constants, assets and config file, in one data dictionary in your script.

Note: above an example of assets as credentials - note that the assets tab in the config only works for single-value assets, not credentials. For those you stll need to use your get credential activity.

Just one more question :frowning: Can you say that the best way is using queue for storing document names or using assets?

Thanks,

@bzural both queue and assets are having different features.

Queue -A queue is a list of items that you want to be processed by Robots. When you create a queue in Orchestrator, it is empty. To populate the queue with items, change their status and process them, you have to use activities from Studio.

Asset- Assets usually represent shared variables or credentials that can be used in different automation projects. They give you the opportunity to store specific information so that the Robots can easily have access to it.

I’m pretty sure you can’t do credentials assets on the Asset tab in the config file, though. Credentials Assets are not name/value pairs.

Yeah I mentioned that as well. Only single value assets.
For credentials you need to use ‘get credential’ activities.

As for the question on queue stored values vs assets:
If a value is specific for a transaction, store it in the queue items. If it is more global, a general setting to be used in the entire script (or multiple scripts, even better) then use an asset.

1 Like

Hi @bzural,

Values ​​that you think may change in the long run (URL, SMTP Values ​​etc.) can be taken into the config asset. If you keep these config files in the common area, you can easily update your projects without versioning.

Regards,
MY

Thank all of you, but my case is specific with Document Understanding Framework. I just want to hear some experiences from you who has gained experience in Document Understanding before. Which cases did you use assets in?

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.