What does "troubleshooting purposes" mean on a machine of unattended license?

Hello,

I am using Automation Cloud Community Edition and Studio Pro community edition.

I defined a machine for my PC and created Unattended robot and run the job on the machine (my PC).

When I started the Studio pro on my PC, I found a message on the Studio saying “detected unattended robot as the license type. based on the terms and conditions this license should only be used for troubleshooting purposes”

I think that I cannot use some function on the Studio. But, I could create a new project and publish a package to the Orchestrator tenant feed on the studio.

What does “troubleshooting purposes” mean on a machine of unattended license?

What kind of restriction is applied to the Studio in this context?

I would appreciate it if anyone could help me understand this license issue and the restriction of Studio mentioned above.

(By the way, I could not do any modification to the workflow on the Studio when I created a robot of “Testing” type on my machine (PC). But, it seems that I can do anything on the Studio in the case of “Unattended” type. This is the point where I am confused.)

Thank you.

An Unattended Bot is meant to run automations without human interaction on machines that are on VMs.

When you are developing automations using Studio, you either use a Studio/Studio Pro bot or a Citizen Developer Bot (if you’re using StudioX) to do the building and testing.

Under certain circumstances you may have to connect to a machine on which an Unattended bot has been deployed to troubleshoot an automation that is meant to run in Unattended mode. The warning indicates that under normal circumstances you are supposed to use a Studio robot to do your normal development work.

This situation is even more controlled in case of Attended automations. If you are connected to an Attended type bot when you open up Studio, you can still run the automation from the Studio project, but you cannot edit the project.

Hi Andy,

Thank you for the reply.

The warning indicates that under normal circumstances you are supposed to use a Studio robot to do your normal development work.

Let me clarify this sentence.

Are my understandings below correct?

1. I am allowed to use the Studio/Studio Pro as usual even on the PC which is connected to the Orchestrator in Unattended mode.
  2. Even when the warning is displayed on the Studio/Studio Pro, I can edit, debug , and publish the project in the Studio/Studio Pro without any differences from the usual Studio’s development functionality.

I appreciate it if you could confirm my understandings above if they are correct.

If something is wrong in my understandings, please point out and correct it.

Thank you.
Yasuhiro OKUI

You are. Yes, for troubleshooting purpose only.

Hi Andy,

Thank you for your reply.

My understanding progressed. But, I am still ambiguous about what “for troubleshooting purpose only” means.

How about the issue below?

If it is correct, am I allowed to use the Studio/Studio Pro in the same way as usual project development “for troubleshooting purpose”?

What is the difference between the development “for troubleshooting purpose” and the normal project development?

Thank you.
Yasuhiro OKUI

Hi @okui.yasuhiro,

Here is what you need to understand from a ‘legal’ prospective as you agree to Terms & Conditions set by UiPath when you use their license and products.

1. UiPath Studio/Studio Pro License: Should be used for Development of New workflows
  2. UiPath Unattended Robot License: Should be used to run the workflows you built in Unattended Mode. This license should not be used to open Studio/Studio Pro to build new workflows or modify existing ones. At the max it can used to open existing workflows and run it via the studio to find where the issue is occurring.

Hope that helps !

Thanks & Regards,
Nithin

Hi Nithin,

Thank you for your explanation.

Now, I understand that this is a kind of legal issue rather than a technical (functional) issue of the Studio/Studio Pro.

Thank you.
Yasuhiro OKUI

1 Like

Hi @okui.yasuhiro,

Yes ! It’s just a legal thing. Functionally both Studio/Studio Pro will work the same way with a Studio/Studio Pro License or Unattended Robot License (Other than a small warning you see).

Please do mark the response that helped you the most as a solution. This will help other community members find answers more quickly.

Thanks & Regards,
Nithin

Hi Nithin,

Thank you for your responses. They helped me understand what the warning means on the Studio in Unattended mode.

Thank you Nithin and Andy.

Best regards,
Yasuhiro OKUI

1 Like

Hi Andy,

Your response helped me understand in which circumstance we connect the PC to the Orchestrator in Unattended mode.

Thank you Andy.

Best regards,
Yasuhiro OKUI

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.