V2018.3 UiPath Community Edition release

Looks really good, look forward to more such serious upgrades… However, projects that have been opened in 2018.3 once and saved and run are not opening properly in older versions of Studio. Hope we are not the only ones facing this problem.

We don’t have backwards compatibility. That is exactly what you have described: develop a process in 18.3 and open in in older Studio versions. The latest release has new features and some changes that older versions might be incompatible with (for example the core activities decoupling). That’s we don’t support backwards compatibiiity and we don’t consider it as a best practice.

Hello ovi,

i really like the new release. I am really curious about the Java Activites Pack and wanted to ask if the mentioned Example of Using The Java Activities Pack (https://activities.uipath.com/lang-de/docs/about-the-java-activities-pack#section-example-of-using-the-java-activities-pack) is already available and I just can’t find it or if it’s still in production.

Thanks for your answer in advance.

If anyone else has first experiences with the Package let me know :wink:

The java activities pack is still in beta. You can access it like this:

Hi, thanks for your fast answer. Unfortunately your feedback doesnt answer my original question, which was not that clearly formulated. Sorry… I found the Java Activites Pack and also tried already implementing a few things. However, on the posted website https://activities.uipath.com/lang-de/docs/about-the-java-activities-pack#section-example-of-using-the-java-activities-pack there is also mentioned that there is an example on how to use those activities. I can’t find this example and was wondering if it’s me not finding it or if the example isn’t out there yet.

Thanks again for your support.

True. Thats good. I however didnt create the workflow in 2018.3… I just happened to open it in 2018.3 once, and now it is corrupt, not sure if there is an easier way to recover it, other than having to recreate it.

Someone on my team experienced something similar. He used 2018.3 to open a workflow that had been created in 2018.2, and then other users who were still on 2018.2 were no longer able to open/run that workflow. In our case, we were able to recover the workflow by opening it in 2018.3 and deleting all of the For Each and For Each Row activities. 2018.3 adds an Index property that 2018.2 was not able to reinterpret, so removing those in 2018.3 and then reopening and re-adding those activities in 2018.2 fixed it for us.

1 Like

if you didn`t use any core activities new in 2018.3 just deleting project json, will open ok in 2018.2
but, if you did use them, you ll need to manually edit the xaml in a text editor as explaind in the upper post.
we don t offer forward compatibility unfortunatelly

It sounds like what rahultyagi and I are talking about is a little different than what you and ovi are addressing, though. Neither of us added any new activities in 2018.3, we just looked at old workflows in 2018.3. My guess is that rahultyagi’s workflow also included a For Each or For Each Row activity that was automatically updated with the Index property when he opened it in 2018.3.

Why "Community Edition " was emphasized?
Are Community Edition 2018.3 and Enterprise version 2018.3 different?
If so, I’d like to know the different points and the release date of Enterprise version 2018.3.

that is correct… and I suspect there could be some more activities other than foreach that would have the same issue.

That is nice, but when are you fixing the issue regarding saving on network drives?
I reported this a day or two after release of 18.3.0 as I encountered this when I was prompted to convert from old to the new 18.3.0

Now I encounter it when creating a new project or library and trying to save it directly to a network drive or when editing a project and trying to remove or add package. If I just edit the project using the same packages there is no issues.

also i reported an issue where if you call the robot directly with the -file [path] parameter you need triple \ instead of double \ to access robot projects on a network drive.

None of the above was present in 18.2

Network issue example of saving a new project.

1 2

18.3.1+Branch.master.Sha.4c05f670b311e90ee097c589605b399e9bee4874

Access to the path is denied.

Cannot create new item: UiPath.Studio.Contracts.RecoverableException ---> System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path is denied.
   at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
   at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError()
   at System.IO.File.InternalReplace(String sourceFileName, String destinationFileName, String destinationBackupFileName, Boolean ignoreMetadataErrors)
   at System.IO.File.Replace(String sourceFileName, String destinationFileName, String destinationBackupFileName)
   at System.IO.Abstractions.FileWrapper.Replace(String sourceFileName, String destinationFileName, String destinationBackupFileName)
   at UiPath.Project.WorkflowProjectRepository.Save(IWorkflowProject project, String path)
   at UiPath.Studio.Plugin.Workflow.Project.WorkflowProjectModelFactory.SaveAsync(IProject item, SaveInformation info)
   at UiPath.Studio.Plugin.Workflow.Project.WorkflowProjectModelFactory.<CreateNewAsync>d__32.MoveNext()
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task)
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
   at UiPath.Studio.Shell.Services.PersistableServiceBase`2.<OnNewAsync>d__21.MoveNext()
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
   at UiPath.Studio.Shell.Services.PersistableServiceBase`2.<OnNewAsync>d__21.MoveNext()
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
   at UiPath.Studio.Shell.Services.ProjectService.<OnNewAsync>d__38.MoveNext()
   at UiPath.Studio.Shell.Services.PersistableServiceBase`2.<CreateNewAsync>d__11.MoveNext()
   at UiPath.Studio.Shell.Services.OpenCloseCommandsService.<CreateNewProjectAsync>d__17.MoveNext()
   at UiPath.Studio.Shell.ViewModels.StartPageViewModel.<OnNewProjectCommand>d__23.MoveNext()
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.AsyncMethodBuilderCore.<>c.<ThrowAsync>b__6_0(Object state)
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler), HResult -2146233088

CopyToDataTable is not a member of System.array in the latest 2018.3 update.

Hi Rasmus,

What OS are you using? Outside of studio can you access and read/write on that location? Also is the location mapped locally as a network drive?

Hi Alexg,

I’m using windows 10 enterprise, and have no issue reading and writing to the folder from explorer or other programs and yes it is mapped as a network drive. But the issue is the same if I use mapped drive or UNC path.

I have changed nothing from 18.2.1 all the way to 18.3.1, and the issue started with 18.3.0.

18.2.1 was the first version I tried, this is where I learned about UI Path

// Rasmus

So i tried again on 18.3.1 just to document it further.

I’ve created a library project. I’ve tried to publish it to UNC path and this is the result:
(cannot show the full path due to internal policy)

Here is the console output

Yet i do get the access denied error with the following details

Error: System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path is denied.
   at System.IO.File.InternalReplace(String sourceFileName, String destinationFileName, String destinationBackupFileName, Boolean ignoreMetadataErrors)
   at System.IO.File.Replace(String sourceFileName, String destinationFileName, String destinationBackupFileName)
   at System.IO.Abstractions.FileWrapper.Replace(String sourceFileName, String destinationFileName, String destinationBackupFileName)
   at UiPath.Project.WorkflowProjectRepository.Save(IWorkflowProject project, String path)
   at UiPath.Studio.Plugin.Workflow.Project.WorkflowProjectModelFactory.<InternalPublish>d__46.MoveNext()
   at UiPath.Studio.Plugin.Workflow.Project.WorkflowLibraryModelFactory.<InternalPublish>d__16.MoveNext()
   at UiPath.Studio.Plugin.Workflow.Project.WorkflowProjectModelFactory.<Publish>d__44.MoveNext()
   at UiPath.Studio.Shell.Services.ProjectService.<Publish>d__33.MoveNext()
   at UiPath.Studio.Shell.ViewModels.MainWindowViewModel.<PublishExecute>d__206.MoveNext()
   at UiPath.Studio.Shared.MVVM.Commands.TaskCommand`3.<Execute>d__32.MoveNext()
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.AsyncMethodBuilderCore.<>c.<ThrowAsync>b__6_0(Object state)
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler), HResult -2147024891

As you can see the console says all completed but the error log clearly states otherwise.

So i tried Using a mapped network drive, even tho it translates to the same when accessing it.

Here is the console output

and here is the same error from access denied

Error: System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path is denied.
   at UiPath.Studio.Plugin.Workflow.Project.WorkflowProjectModelFactory.<InternalPublish>d__46.MoveNext()
   at UiPath.Studio.Plugin.Workflow.Project.WorkflowLibraryModelFactory.<InternalPublish>d__16.MoveNext()
   at UiPath.Studio.Plugin.Workflow.Project.WorkflowProjectModelFactory.<Publish>d__44.MoveNext()
   at UiPath.Studio.Shell.Services.ProjectService.<Publish>d__33.MoveNext()
   at UiPath.Studio.Shell.ViewModels.MainWindowViewModel.<PublishExecute>d__206.MoveNext()
   at UiPath.Studio.Shared.MVVM.Commands.TaskCommand`3.<Execute>d__32.MoveNext()
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler), HResult -2147024891

Yet again console shows it as completed and it wrote the file to the path, but the error tells me otherwise.

So i checked the folder both times and the published file isn’t there.

If i do this to a local path this works without any issues.

I just tried publish on an old 18.2.4 installation with the same user, system and location and it will publish just fine.

UPDATE on the above.

If the file i tried to publish have been opened from a network location Mapped drive or UNC path and i then try to publish to a mapped drive or UNC path it will fail

BUT!

If I open the file from a local path (C:\subFolders\ and so on) and i then try to publish to a mapped drive or UNC path it will succeed

So the issue is from network to network, that will fail. But using local to network will work.